Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My cockatiel just "laid" what appears to be a broken egg, maybe a soft shell or it possibly broke inside of her? I felt it and it feels like a shell, somewhat hard to the touch.

A little background:

She was acting totally normal tonight...but at one point decided to fly around the room and accidentally hit a wall and was a bit dazed for a moment (very unlike her to crash) and so I put her back in her cage. She then began to strain a bit and was making sounds so I knew something was wrong. I walked up to check on her when I saw a yellow substance coming out of her (yolk), followed by a broken shell.

She seemed tired after but about 30 min later she started preening herself and is acting pretty normal.

Does she need to go to a vet? I am concerned that she was expelling pure yolk before the shell even came out, meaning it broke inside of her? Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yes, if there is a chance that the egg broke inside of her, it's a veterinary emergency. She could get a very serious infection or have a stroke as a result.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I agree with everyone else - please go to vet right away.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Please get her to a vet, she could die :frown: I have lost a 'tiel to egg yolk peritonitis.

Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Taking her to the vet tomorrow. She is acting normal today- active, eating, drinking and having normal poops. I didn't even notice the little bit of blood last night as I was so focused on analyzing the egg! Thank you for pointing that out.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
How did it go?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She was given antibiotics as a precautionary measure. Vet said she would be having symptoms of being ill by now if she had an infection though. She also laid another egg which vet said is a good sign that everything is working properly. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
She was given antibiotics as a precautionary measure. Vet said she would be having symptoms of being ill by now if she had an infection though. She also laid another egg which vet said is a good sign that everything is working properly. Thanks guys!
Great news, she must of expelled everything!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Glad to hear she's ok! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts