Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

Long story short: I have family visiting who let my male and female cockatiel out of their cages without supervision. Seven days later my female appears to be trying to lay eggs.

More details: Yesterday morning my female seemed fine. She was walking around her cage, from family accounts, she was also active. I get home and shes on her upper perch and dead silent. I immediately began researching and saw several cockatiel web pages that said these are potential signs of straight illness or egg laying due to these other symptoms: Normally she is very loud, very active, and looking like shes about to lose her mind when I get home. Instead I see her a bit bulgy, sleeping, with heavy breathing. She is lethargic and it does appear that she constantly fluffs up as though shes trying to poop. I have been monitoring and she is pooping (its like a diarrhea but with bits of solidness to some parts of it. I've checked as of 3:17am 08.26.2015). She does slightly weigh more.

I did notice that her back (near the vent at the end of her tail) was slightly bulged outward. A family member turned her over and stated they could see an egg. However it has not passed. How long does it take for an egg to begin development in the body before passing? How long after the development should it take for the egg to pass? Should I be worried?

My female is 7 years old and has never laid an egg in her life.

I am not happy about this as I do not believe in breeding animals. I prefer rescue/adoption (both of mine were adopted from homes that were not caring for them). Any and all help is so greatly appreciated.

Sincerely Yours,
AizaT

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If not egg binding, it could be potential prolapse or any number of things. Just keep her warm until you can get it looked at.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Sounds like you need to get her to an avian vet as soon as possible. Best of luck and I hope your 'tiel will recover well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Birdy" (her name) has died.

I took her to a Pet ER in Baltimore, MD. Was told that she had two eggs inside of her that were hard (not soft) and thus would not pass. She was egg-bound. I was informed that to treat her would require surgery that cost 1498.00 and I had to pay everything immediately. Which I could not do. They said if I took her home she would suffer before dying so I had to opt to put her down. I put down my bird because I couldn't afford to pay for her surgery and I feel so horrible right now. I'm in tears writing this. My son was with me and is equally devastated.

Thank you for your replies.

-AizaT

·
Registered
246 Posts
How sad. If it's any consolation I would have made the same decision. I had my elderly cats put to sleep rather than watch them suffer or have them treated. You could have ended up with the same outcome even after paying all that money.

·
Registered
761 Posts
You are a good person - I have no doubt. Don't feel horrible. You did what was right. I'm so sorry for you and your son. Sending my best wishes.

Can anyone on here break down for me how such insane vet fees are justified?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am so sorry you had to go through this. I had a parakeet where the same thing happened to her, so I know how sudden and difficult this is to go through. You did everything you could for Birdy. Don't feel guilty that you couldn't afford her surgery or that it happened, just feel glad that you could control how much she suffered and chose the easiest path for her. I strongly believe in the Rainbow Bridge and that you'll see her again someday.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'm so sorry for you loss! It really is hard to make these kinds of decisions. And birds are even harder because they are so hard to operate on in the first place. Please know that Birdy was very loved and it was very evident to us all.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oh no :( I'm so sorry for your loss. Fly free, Birdy.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. Personally, I think you did the right thing. I lost my 1st bird to a prolapse and since she was my 1st bird, I didn't know what was happening. Small birds don't tend to do well with surgery. I think you did the right thing and if it makes you feel better, I would have done it too

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your kind replies. I slept and cried almost all of yesterday. Though I think I'm cried out right now I can still feel the pain. I miss her so much. I did more research and though I hate my decision I know it was the right thing. The surgery was to remove the two eggs in her, however, if she continued to produce eggs that could very well lead to the same situation again (especially since when I rescued her the prior owner ONLY fed her millet seeds and it was a fight to get her to eat anything else since I've had her). She would have just gotten into this situation again.

I can reflect a bit more clearly and realize yes it was the right decision but a very, very painful one. I had never heard of the rainbow bridge before and upon reading up on it, it's helped with the grieving. She was one of my only friends.

Thank you again everyone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It will hurt for a while, and it's okay to be hurt and cry until you can't any more. You lost a family member. Leave her cage up as long as you need to, and give your male the extra attention he may need during this time. *virtual hugs* Grieve as much as you need to

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Take as much time as you need to grieve, and do whatever you need to help yourself along this pathway. I know from experience that what you chose to do was painful, but you did the right thing. She is at peace now, and your love for her shows what a loving person you are. Gentle hugs...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts