Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, before I write this down, I have to warn you that @take her to a [email protected] is not an option for me. I live in a small city in central China and there is not even one aviary vet, or vet in general, that can take care of the problem. I already tried...
I got Zeze (approximately 1 year old, female (I think), Lutino cockatiel), around a month ago.
When I got her, her feathers were in a horrible condition. Dark brown, eaten (I though it was a rat attack at that point). She was sharing a miniature cage with two more cockatiels, and was surrounded by all types of birds in the same conditions.
She is friendly with me, trusts me enough to stay on my finger, let me pet her, eat from my hand, and chirp with me. But what I thought was a rat attack was something she did to herself. Even though I mist her almost every day, she eats her feathers. I do not know if it's depression, mites, or molting. But I worry about it. I also found two bumps on her wings, that look suspicious to me.... On top of that she does not eat any vegetables, fruits or nuts. All she eats are the seeds she was fed at the store, and a lot of cuttlefish.
Please, someone, give me advice. I love my bird, and I'm doing everything possible to spoil her and make her happy, but right now I feel helpless...

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi
Your tiel may be a beautiful bird after molting out old feather!

I would try to give her more stuffs she can chew, such as ropes, tree twigs to see if she can change feather chewing behavior. Overcrowded cage may lead to feather chewing behavior. The birds may be just too bored.
I am not familiar with feather mits, can't help about that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts