Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a male 2 1/2 year old cockatiel.
We are currently in the middle of an earthquake swarm thats been going on for the past two weeks, over 300 quakes all within a mile of our house. We're all a little on edge but it has been a nightmare with a small bird. Everything over a 2.4 magnitude wakes him up and sends him into a panic.

I have put a double rug under his cage to try and cushion it a little but we've had night after night of basically earthquake induced night frights and I'm worried about him. Each time I rush to his cage (the last thing you are supposed to do in an earthquake is run through your house!) get him out and sit with him, stroke his head, until he completely calm but this must be a lot of stress for him. I've tried leaving lights on, leaving him uncovered but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Any ideas? Scientists are saying we could have another few weeks of this swarm.
During the day he seems fine (maybe a little more tired than usual but then I think we both are) and the daytime earthquakes don't bother him as much if there is someone with him.

Thanks
N x

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Would it help to put his cage in your bedroom at night? That way your there with him and can get to him immediately and maybe your presence is more reassuring.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Poor little buddy. :( I don't have a good answer, but would echo the suggestion of putting his cage in your bedroom, or maybe sleep in his room if that is easier. Joey is usually not bothered by storms, but we do get some really huge ones with intensely loud thunder. There have been a few nights I've slept on the couch to reassure him because he was restless.

I can't imagine being in an earthquake swarm, having so many of them over such a long time.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I would probably just leave a light on. It might disorient him, but it's less risky than having repeated night frights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't have an answer, but we had a 6.7 quake here in north Hawaii, I was a little south of the center, but still strong. I had Dino on my shoulder in a shack I was living in while building my house, anyways it was pretty rickety, 1 end was ground level, the other was on tall posts, so we ran over to the safe end. It started shaking more, so Dino decided it would be fun to fly back to the other side again, so I got to chase him down, and hold him till it was over. I think loud thunder bothers him more.
I also think sleeping near him might work.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
If it does last another few weeks (I'll hope for you that it doesn't) he may habituate and not get as scared anymore. In my experience, new things tend to be scary, but tiels can actually deal pretty well in stressful situations once they've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.
Last night was much better, we had an earthquake in the evening while we were still downstairs and even though he was already tucked in for the night, it didn't bother him. We also had one in the night that he seems to have coped with so maybe he is getting used to them now.

I can't move his cage upstairs but I will get a smaller cage and have him up with us at night, I really think that would work well until we are through this swarm.

Appreciate all the suggestions, thank you :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts