Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new baby got a blood feather the other night (over 1 week ago now) and had to be rushed to the vet. The emergency vet put an e collar (elizabethan collar) on her. About 4 days later we took her to an avian vet who noticed she had no feathers under her wings, and they were red raw, and said to leave her collar on. She's got medicated water and some cream to put on along with an antibiotic, but I feel the collar is way too big. I don't know if she's eating, and she feels like she's lost lots of weight. (Her keel bone is very noticeable).

I can't get her to a vet now (it's 9pm here) but was planning to get her some hand rearing food tomorrow to syringe feed her. The vet didn't say when we could take the collar off and didn't tell us to come back. She's only about 4 months old, and won't eat the millet in the cage. She won't eat from my hand either. I'm currently attempting to spout some seeds but I'm worried about what might happen before the seeds sprout.

I'm going to take her to the vet ASAP, but in the mean time would like a bit of advice. I'm thinking about turning her collar the other way so she can eat better... I'm also thinking I might just take the stupid collar off because it seems like it's causing more stress than anything. She's in a cage all by herself now.

Any advice would be great, and like I said, I'm getting her to the vet ASAP.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Was this an avian vet? I'd never go back there this seems like a really bad vet. I'd take the collar off if it was me and she's not eating. It's up to you but... Eating is kind of important! I know there's a risk with her picking her blood feather (I assume that's why the collar wss put on since you said it was put on before the skin under the wing was discovered) but birds don't usually get collared for breaking a blood feather and if she loses too much weight then she's in big trouble too. So yes I'd take it off and keep a close eye on her until you can see a proper avian vet. Also, let's see under her wings if you have a pic.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree with tasheanne! She needs to eat, and will be much more comfy with the collar off, I think it just stresses them out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First vet (emergency vet) was not an avian vet. She treated the blood feather (pulled it out completely I think... she took her straight into the room and I wasn't called in until after) and noticed Gypsy had some lacerations on her wings, which we aren't sure how she got. It was due the the lacerations that she put the collar on as she didn't want her picking at it.

Second vet was an avian vet. As I said in the original post he said we had to keep the collar on (which I was less than happy about, but I wasn't at the vet, my mum took her), due to the amount of feathers missing from under her wings. He seems to think it's from her feather plucking (he thinks she doesn't have enough to keep her occupied), but I think it's more likely to be something else as she has loads of colourful toys and natural branches, leaves etc in her cage.

I know she has been eating a little bit because there were some husks in the seed, but she didn't seem to be getting enough.

Tonight after her medication and lotion, I took her collar off and she went straight for her seed, and ate for ages. I'm still working on pellets and veggies with her, so hopefully she'll start that soon!

I feel a lot more relaxed without her wearing it, and am very relieved to see her eating.
I hope this hasn't delayed her bonding with me because it's all been a very horrible experience for her.

Saturday is a week since she started the lotion so I'm going to keep an eye on it and take her back to the vet next week if things don't seem to improve.

JoJo's Mum, Gypsy looks a lot like your beautiful JoJo :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
The collar definitely sounds like a bad idea that will cause further problems if you keep it on (such as major stress and not eating). Cockatiels will starve themselves to death if they don't have an appetite. What medication is she on?

I recommend having her tested for giardia in regards to the missing feathers under the wings. This is known to cause a loss of feathers. I hope it's not feather plucking, because the cause of that is typically much more difficult to diagnose.

Best of luck for you and Gypsy. Please keep us updated! :flowers:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She was on Clavulox (that course is now finished) and still on Psittavet Powder in her water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts