Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Documenting the diverse flock with whom I share my life (and I do mean share - our birds - just shy of two dozen - are kept freely with largely unrestricted out of cage freedom in the second story of our home).

We have parakeets.

Nine, to be exact.

Arthur, Arya, Bailey, Bernie, Crystal, Dawn, Desirae, Indy, and Sam, in every color of the spectrum: Crystal is a pure white albino, Desirae is lutino, Dawn is a blue yellowface pied, Arya is a blue opaline, Sam and Indy are your run of the mill greens. Bernie and Bailey are English budgies, silver blue and dilute green, respectively.

We have cockatiels - three.

Freddy is gray, his mate Todd is cinnamon pearl pied, and little baby Jade is a cinnamon pied whiteface.

We have finches - three zebra (Plucky, Lucky, and Jane), three society (Apollo, Twix, and Spirit), and one pintailed whydah (Wally.)

And we have canaries - Melody (below, with Wally the whydah) and her two sons, Feathers and Max.

I hand-raised Feathers and Max (below) from the age of two days old, as Melody did not know how to care for them as a new mother (she since figured out and has raised other offspring on her own.)

They all get along together.

They all love breakfast - fresh greens, sweet corn, broccoli, apples, and chopped boiled eggs a few times a week. A good seed mix, lots of cuttlebone, and Roudybush pellets round out the diet.

I offer separate buffets, so big and small birds alike can find a spot to suit them and nobody has to wait their turn.

But nobody picks on anyone else, and it's generally quite the peaceful association, as everyone has plenty of space.

The birds' environment is constantly changing, to keep curious minds busy with new things to explore. Their main hub is one spare room, with bright southern lighting and lots of open cages full of of toys and different swings and branches, with some additional play areas hung from ceiling hooks.

But sometimes, the birds are allowed out to the rest of the living space, where they visit the plant-filled sun room.

Or even the bathroom, for a nap away from the commotion.

The society finches in particular are adept house explorers and have learned their route around every room, including a 25 foot high stairwell with a bright, sunny window where they like to roost way above our heads. Unfortunately, I've yet to get a picture of them hanging there.

They have all learned what glass is, and that windows are solid. They do not fly into them, even when blinds are raised. I have had no issues in two and a half years.

It's a pretty happy place with so many little feather fluffs always up to some mischief.

I have never had one bird harm another, even across very different species, because they always have so much space to mingle. Generally, like species group with their own kind, but sometimes a bond forms across species lines.

Jade the cockatiel and Sparky the dove are very good friends. They watch out for one another and often share a snuggle. Sparky loves to preen his little buddy, and Jade will push her head into his neck until he obliges with a scritch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It's a noisy place here, for sure, but never a dull moment.

Through all seasons...

~~~

Many of our birds are friendly.

They're as fascinated by us as we are of them!

I have even had success hand-training some of our finches.

It is much easier to gain their trust when they are allowed to fully develop their personalities as proper pets in the home, and not just caged birds.

It is worth the daily cleanup.

And when the weather is nice, the birds get to vacation in our walk-in backyard aviary in the garden.

They especially love it outdoors.

And they have it so good, even outsiders come to join in the fun!

This is Indy, a lost budgie who showed up outside the aviary this summer and befriended our birds while they were outside, before I caught him (it took three days of chasing with a towel! But he kept coming back to his buddies...)

...and after, now a very happy member of the menagerie, like he was always part of the club, and with a new girlfriend.

Yeah, I think our birds have it pretty good.

Several of them are rescues, from neglect situations, which makes me even happier when I see them learning how to be birds - to splash in a pool of water, to climb in a tree, to fly - not just in a cage, but truly to fly through the house, doing laps and turns and agility. To learn to eat their veggies and to get to bask in the sun. To enjoy life.

( ^ this is Sam, the budgie shown above sitting on my arm, when he was just three weeks old. He loved to explore the backyard on a sunny spring day, before his wings came in!)

They bring me and my family so much joy, it's worth the work.

( ^ though she is no longer with us, this is Steve, a canary I took in from very poor care in 2014. She was with us only a short time and passed away far too young, but in the short time I had her, she left one of the strongest impressions on me. Never has there been such a sweet, carefree soul.)

My life has definitely gone to the birds...

But I wouldn't want it any other way.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
**Drips with Envvvyyyyyyyyyy** This! THIS is how I would love to have my home if I didn't have a dog, LOL. I used to have my birds free range before I got Aaerro and I loved it. The birds could be themselves and it was just COOL having them all over the place. Ah well. Perhaps one day. (Don't get me wrong.... I love my dog, but she is a serious hunter and nothing is safe when she's loose)

Thanks for all the pictures :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Dylan's flock

Wow! I would love to visit your "bird house!" It must be a lively place, full of chatter and tweets and chirps and coos! I'll bet the birds love it, too, to have so much company.

·
Registered
200 Posts
amazing ! I just got my third pet bird 5 days ago. I let him out of the cage but he flew into the wall =(

I hope hes okay he has his wing stretched out a little from his body.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts