Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Healthy Hen food sold by Dummyeggs.com? I'm considering trying it but was hoping for reviews/feedback on how good it is and if your cockatiels did well on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I never heard of it before, but I found the website at https://dummyeggs.com/de-healthyhen-birdfood-cuttlebones.html and I'm not impressed. The ingredient list is:

"Whole Bee Pollen, Cashews, Almonds, Soybeans, Millet, Raw Sunflower Kernels, Canary Grass Seed, Canola Seed, Flax Seed, Black Sesame Seed & Natural Sesame Seed, Currants, Organic Blueberries, Sterile Hemp Seed, Niger Seed, Caraway Seed, Organic Whole Oats, Lettuce Seed, Wildflower Seed, Chamomile Flowers, Poppy Seed, Orange Peel, Soy Flour, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Honey Flakes & Natural Molasses Flakes, Fennel Seed, Apples, Paprika, Corn & Peas, Parsley, Spirulina, Spinach, Lemon and Blackberry Flavoring, Carrots, Wheat Germ, Whole Egg Solids, Whey, Organic Papaya, Raspberry Seeds, Cranberry Seeds, Organic Cranberries, Pineapple, Star Anise Seed, Cantaloupe Seed, Organic Wheat, Green Cabbage."

The #1 ingredient is bee pollen which is hard to digest and potentially allergenic. It has vast amounts of hype behind it but reality doesn't live up to the hype. I don't give it to my birds and don't recommend it.

Several high-fat seeds and nuts are high on the ingredient list. You can bet that the bird will pick these out first, and the calories will add up fast. Soybeans are high on the list. There's lots of misleading propaganda about soy being spread around by an organization whose stated mission is to promote the use of dairy and meat products. They're actually safe, but only if they have been properly processed. Raw beans in general contain natural toxins that are eliminated by cooking. But have these beans been cooked? We can't tell.

Chamomile is a mild sedative. Do you want to sedate your bird?

Spirulina is not good. At one time it was promoted as a source of Vitamin B12 for vegetarians, but subsequent research showed that it actually interferes with B12 absorption. Apparently some people haven't gotten the word.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
It also contains probiotics, which are heavily hyped. The research indicates that probiotics may be useful for individuals with certain health conditions, but they don't really do anything for a healthy individual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input! I'm ordering some dummy eggs and they offer that in the package as one of the options. I'll choose something else. My birds currently have a varied diet of sprouted seeds, chop, and the grain bakes, daily maintenance diet, and birdy bread from Christine's Chop Shop. They are healthy, happy, and doing very well. I'll leave well enough alone!

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Having some professionally formulated pellets in the diet is very useful, although if "daily maintenance diet" refers to Harrisons pellets then you're already doing it. One of the biggest issues with a plant-based diet is that plant foods don't provide Vitamin D. Your birds can make their own D if they get outdoors regularly for exposure to natural sunlight, but it's a huge problem for indoor birds. Pellets do provide Vitamin D, and they also provide appropriate amounts of all the other vitamins and minerals, as well as having a good ratio of complete protein to calories.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, yup, they get pellets also! Roudybush though. It's the only one my adult tiels will eat and it's easily accessible at my local petstore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts