Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at PetSmart today getting supplies for the cats and my tiel. Bought some new toys for my tiel in the hopes of getting her to move around some more. On a whim I decided to go into the reptile section and there I found this...
http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/index.jsp?productId=2752733

They came in many different shapes and sizes and I thought they might make a good (if small) play stand. What do you think? Is this type of wood safe? They called it grape driftwood and it said it had been heat treated. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew the wood was safe for fish and lizards... Just wanted to make sure it was safe for birds as well...

I wonder.... would driftwood I find at the beach be safe? It would need to be disinfected but if I went to the beach and found a bunch of wood I could potentially make my own stand for next to nothing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Driftwood from the beach is not recommended for many reasons There is no certainty about what the tree genus is, water has many organisms and animal feces, garbage and who knows what else from being in water etc and things like salt can become embedded in the driftwood no matter how well its disinfected.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Laura. I didn't do any research when I asked the question. It just popped into my head and I thought I'd ask it. Now I know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.