Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you could create any sort of cockatiel mutation, what would it be?

i was playing around in photoshop and quickly came up with these.

rather un-natural, but quite striking (in my opinion!)

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
A black mutation is one that might actually be attainable, but so far no one has been able to make it happen.

Increased yellow and orange wouldn't be completely impossible, and even red might be feasible. But again, it ain't really happening although some breeders have been able to develop an intensified yellow.

You can pretty much forget about green and blue. These colors are not caused by pigment in the feathers, and require a structural mutation in the feathers to create the illusion of these colors.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
A lutino was my dream tiel, and I have him :)

I would love a black tiel. It would be like a miniature Black Palm cockatoo

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
dearblythe, I love the second one! So pretty.

RowdyTiel, my soon-to-be new girl is pretty much canary yellow! She's a lutino pearl and unlike Honey, her body is almost all yellow, a really neon yellow. It's amazing and I hope she stays that way!

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I had a magic wand I would make tiels who have the same colour variety (and brightness) as budgies do. I have both and I love Sid's personality soooo much but I have to admit the surprising array of budgie colours attracts me more visually. (Sorry Sid!)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the original of the first picture i posted... the breeder website i got the pic from breeds deep yellow tiels - they look beautiful!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Hank likes to rub on her wood ladder bridge when she's wet and it makes her all sorts of weird colors...it looks like a cool pearl mutation

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ i'd be interested to see (the almost-mutation, not hank's special time HAHA)

i had a crazy thought - a cinnamon face tiel. or all grey, or all cinnamon. that'd be cooooooooool.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
i had a crazy thought - a cinnamon face tiel.
A cinnamon whiteface hen comes pretty close to this. Here's one of my babies from this year. Please excuse the lack of a crest, her mother Shodu likes to play barber.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A cinnamon whiteface hen comes pretty close to this. Here's one of my babies from this year. Please excuse the lack of a crest, her mother Shodu likes to play barber.
nawww, she's still a cutie. and hey, i think we'd all be probably lying if we said our mothers had never tried to give us a little trim in between hair salon visits. shodu is no exception ;)

if you took away her wing markings, she looks fully cinnamon - very cool.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
So far it's been impossible to get rid of the white wing bar, and there have been breeders who have tried. Here's my guess about the reason it won't go away: All our mutations so far are based on color pigment being removed or reduced in some way. There isn't any color pigment in white feathers, and to make the wing bar disappear we'd have to put some color pigment into those feathers. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism for doing that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts