Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a new cockatiel owner, and I'm often accused of being overprotective, and sometimes just downright ridiculous when it comes to his safety. Junior likes to stand on a windowsill to look at the outside birds. Today, it was rainy, and a little drafty. I guess the temperature was in the 70's, but the breeze felt cooler (and damp). I immediately took him back to his cage, as I was afraid he would get sick. Was this an overreaction? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
foobie

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm just like you. I moved my cage upstairs just cuz we had guest over and didn't want her getting sick since the outside doors kept opening. Not only that she got spooked yesterday and I was worrying about that too:( I'm overprotective also, I have a case of hypochondria lol.

Talking about drafts. Do fans count?? We do have a fan on in the room since its warm but I only keep the fan in one direction so it doesn't hit her, this worries me too hahaha

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Birds are adapted to outdoor life where it frequently gets windy. So occasional air movement at a not-too-extreme temperature isn't going to do any harm, especially if the bird is able to move away if it gets uncomfortable. The bird standing in front of the window looking out would probably have been OK since he could leave any time he wanted to, and a bigger problem to worry about would be the possibility of him chewing a hole in the window screen and escaping outside.

The kind of draft you want to avoid is nonstop air movement that the bird can't get away from. Having a fan or air conditioner blowing on the bird continuously could make the bird more susceptible to illness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I watch him whenever he's out of the cage so he won't get in trouble. My other concern is the house temperature. We keep it at around 72, hope this isn't too cold for him. He shivers sometimes, but he does it when it's warmer too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts