Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tiel, Lunar, is now 10 months old and started to moult about 2 months ago. He's replaced most all his juvenile feathers on his body but still had 5-7 flights and 4 tail. This morning he dropped 2 more of those pretty, yellow tail feathers and was left with 2 still to drop.
But then much to my surprise he dropped one of his new, big, grey deck feathers. Anyone had this before?
He still has baby feathers left and he dropped his decks first, then grew back two lovely adult feathers, now he's dropped one. Doesn't make sense to me, a moult within a moult.
As far as I can tell the dropped adult feather is totally intact, no fret marks, no breaks in the shaft.
Do you think he will he drop the rest of his feathers again also?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
He may be having another small molt...some tiels will molt once or twice a year while others will have small little molts all throughout the year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that different birds have different moult cycles but I'm just confused as to why he is moulting his second set of feathers before replacing all of his first.

·
Registered
263 Posts
mister started molting at 4 months and has yet to stop. he is 11 months. he is still working on his flights and tail feathers so it's almost like some enormous first molt that he's still doing. lately with the strange weather he's been dropping a couple of feathers per day, it's really strange. and he has a lot of pin feathers come through recently, especially around his head. i know that because i groom the casings off for him. poor lonely boy needs mummy's help grooming :p

some of the feathers he's molted have been new ones but the majority has been old ones. just taking a while over it. i have mentioned it to the vet, they're not worried.

he's currently claiming a tissue box as his personal property, just in case anyone's interested :blush::love:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts