Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cockatiel does what you can see in the photo and normally is just for a bit or until i open the cage so i think it's a sort of attention-seeking behaviour just to get out of the cage but i want to make sure it's nothing serious.
Anybody knows what is it and why she does it?

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
That's her mating posture and it's often accompanied by little chirps or squeaks. If she is an only bird then you are probably the object of her affection :) . It's ok for her to do that but when she is out of the cage don't encourage the behavior - if you pet her and she does that just stop touching her for a bit until she settles down. You don't want her to start laying eggs, which is what can happen if she gets stimulated too much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, it's my first female so i'm sort of learning all over again. She doesn't do that when she's out, it's just sometimes in the cage, but i try to ignore her so i don't encourage it and after 1-2 minutes she just does something else and forgets about it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thanks for the help, it's my first female so i'm sort of learning all over again. She doesn't do that when she's out, it's just sometimes in the cage, but i try to ignore her so i don't encourage it and after 1-2 minutes she just does something else and forgets about it.
OK that's good. Also, remove access to anything she could possibly crawl into in her environment that she could see as a nesting cavity. My girl Puff would start laying eggs if she came across a tissue box I used to keep handy. She was otherwise fine as long as I was careful.

Your bird is a beauty!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts