Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, we had a terrible day with Dooby. He is trying to assert his dominance. Darryl (partner) was sat at his desk and Dooby was just out messing around, then Dooby launched himself at Darryl's neck and face, he just kept going at him, Darryl stood up and tried to make him stop but he wouldn't. The only way Darryl could get Dooby off him was to run from the room (with Dooby still doing a full on attack) and going into the bedroom and shutting the door. I was downstairs at the time, wondering what the noise was, when I got upstairs, Dooby was sat on top of the bathroom door, waiting for Darryl. After a lot of biting and flapping, I managed to get Dooby in his cage. I have told Laura about this attack and she thought wing clipping might be the answer. It seems like a good answer to me, I've read up about it online and they recommend that for a dominant male. So, I'm going to see about getting that done. This morning, Dooby is really, behaving dominantly, although he is still in his cage. Dooby was on the bottom of his cage and Darryl looked in at him to talk to him and Dooby moved up to be above Darryl, so Darryl sat up a bit, Dooby moved up, then Darryl stood up and once again Dooby moved up!! He really does need to be looking down on us and dominating. We have tried this with him three or four times now and it's always the same, Dooby has to be higher than us, looking down. Sheesh, I never thought he would turn out so naughty. I just want my stupid Dooby back. He'll sit in his cage and sing and whistle and talk away, but there is this major dominance thing that we have to get over, I don't mind admitting that I am very nervous of him at the moment. So, I think it's going to be a wing clipping job for Dooby and we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
799 Posts
i thinking clipping his wings would be the best idea at least then he can,t hurt him self or other people but hopefully it is just a stage that he will grow out of.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He really is a strange boy, I don't think I'll ever work him out. I let him out of his cage again, without Darryl in the room and he was the daftest, stupidest Dooby you could wish for. He came for his tickle tickle, he came when he was called, he flew around the room like a loony and then I was doing training with him and he did everything I asked, including "Go home!" Now, I'm wondering if for some reason, he has taken a bit of a dislike towards Darryl, that would be such a pity because Darryl loves him and is always talking to him. So, I just don't know what to do again now, one day he's nice, one day he's nasty, does that warrant getting his wings clipped? I just don't know. I realise it's hormonal, but I am also thinking long term, will I have to put up with this for 20+ years? Will it really make a difference getting his wings clipped? He's back in his cage, in a corner, chatting up his ladder and obviously "nesting"........sheesh, what a mixed up tiel and what a mixed up Plukie.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
It will make a difference clipping his wings so he can't do full on aerial attacks from what your describing he certainly has some dominance issues going on, the wing clipping might also help because he won't be able to get above you. you could always clip them and let them grow out again maybe by that time he will have calmed down abit, it could be a jealousy thing with Darryl as well maybe Dooby see's you as his mate and Darryl is a threat to him.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Yikes :eek: Dooby is being a sassy boy. I would get his wings clipped. Could Darryl feed and water him all the time and give him his favourite treats. Instead of you?

·
Registered
120 Posts
My my! Dooby is being a naughty boy! :eek:
Wing clipping will help a lot because apart from being able to climb, jump and fly for a few seconds he will mainly depend on you to get around. Plus if Daryl is attacked again he'll be able to get away faster than Dooby next time. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't know what his cage is like but i read somewhere that if you move his cage to the floor, so that darryl is always higher it may help.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
it could be a jealousy thing with Darryl as well maybe Dooby see's you as his mate and Darryl is a threat to him.
It is very much this reason. Sorry to hear poor Darryl got attacked in the process..I guess it's like living with a mini hawk around...:blink: Keep your eye peeled for the charging tiel... Clipping him should make him more dependent on you AND Darryl therefore it'll set him back into reality a bit.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Darryl always stands up higher than Dooby when he talks to him, it's such a shame because Darryl really loves that bird and is always chattering to him. It might just be that Dooby was having another off day, but I will be getting his wings clipped.

It does seem odd that he attacked Darryl when I wasn't even in the room. I was downstairs, so it was just the two of them in the room.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Were there any fireworks noises or anything that else that might have set him off? I doubt it was that-it just sounds to me like he had Darryl alone and decided to charge.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Do you know, we need Boomberry here. :D She has a hormonal male, Noo, and i bet she would have some tiel attack escape plans for you. I know she clips Noo when he gets extra bratty, and it does help, so i think wing clipping is a good idea. ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Clipping is best for a dominant bird. Make sure he can't get higher than you are. Whenever I get a dominant bird in, I make sure he or she stays clipped.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, that's seems to be that sorted then, we are going to have to clip the Doobster!!! I'll take him to a vet to have it done because I won't be able to do it myself and somehow, I don't think I'll ask Darryl to hold him. lol.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I'm not. LOL!!! I've phoned the vet and it's only around £10...that's $20 US. to get them clipped, so for the sake of my fingers and Darryl's neck, I think it will be better to let the vet do them.

How often do you need to get their wings clipped? I know obviously that it has to be done when the feathers grow back in, but roughly how long does that take to happen?

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I was wondering that too? I guess you have to make sure none of the feathers are blood feathers then it would be ok to clip them.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Wow, Dooby haven't you changed?! I always imagine him as a little docile creature who wouldn't hurt a fly. :rolleyes: Is the "Doobster" getting his 12 hours sleep? Tiels can get cranky because of loss of sleep. But it seems he is just being territorial. I do hope wing clipping helps for you and poor Darryl!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I'm not. LOL!!! I've phoned the vet and it's only around £10...that's $20 US. to get them clipped, so for the sake of my fingers and Darryl's neck, I think it will be better to let the vet do them.

How often do you need to get their wings clipped? I know obviously that it has to be done when the feathers grow back in, but roughly how long does that take to happen?
That's a bit more then mine. Mine does beak, wings and nails for $15 or $5 for each. I never went though.
You'll probably need to get it done about every few months or so. They all grow their wings at different rates. If he's molting you'll need to do it more often since the new ones grow in pretty fast.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts