Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a DOME top cage? If so, do you like it? Hate it?

I am currently wanting to upgrade my two boys' cage... I am looking at the Prevue Pet Cage# 34531, but also, a Prevue Pet 3154 (in a nasty colour) has popped up, cheaper.

I was thinking I would like the dome.... both boys sleep at the top of their cage on a round rope toy (covered in vet wrap).... so the dome could be a good thing.... the other cage has a play top... but they never sit on top of their cage now.... and we have a sheet drapped over it 24/7... so the play top might not work.......

https://prevuepet.com/product/810/large-dome-top-cage--black-34531

https://prevuepet.com/product/98/select-bird-cage--black-3154blk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW that is a GORGEOUS AND MASSIVE cage!!!!
What do you have them eating up top? I want to give my birds more greens... they dont really like veggies....... We have some cat grass going (one was wheat, the other was oat barley and something else)... I dont let the birds eat it for obvious reasons but last night I forgot to move it and they were very interested....

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
There are acacia and eucalyptus branches hanging from the hook on the playtop side, and assorted leafy vegetables clipped to the bars on the dome side. I find that cockatiels eat veggies a lot better when they're served foraging style like this. Be careful with tree branches though, you have to make sure that it's a bird-safe tree. Eucalyptus is safe for Aussie parrots. Some acacia species are safe and some aren't, but I made sure that mine was one of the safe species. Some trees are safe and some aren't, so you need to google the trees that are available to you to see if they're safe. Stay away from trees that have been sprayed with any chemicals.

Chemical-free lawn grass with unripe seed heads attached is very popular. This is basically what cockatiels eat in the wild.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
P.S. Your cat grass is fine for birds as long as the cat hasn't actually been nibbling on it. Cats have germs in their mouth that are very dangerous to birds, so don't let them share. But wheat grass and barley grass are excellent bird veggies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts