Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Training to step up. I put finger flat on chair arm and target to approach. I use clicker and the drumstick that former keeper gave me. He wasn't "trained" with that keeper but he just wanted her! I have never held him.
If he touches my finger he squeaks and jumps back. Lowers his head for scritches but squeaks and jumps if I touch him.
He's "mine" and he does like me. Greets me in the morning, calls when he can't see me, will occasionally climb sleeve and sit on shoulder. Takes treat from my fingers. Spends most of his day within two feet of me and often sits and even sleeps on chair arm.
Training is all about treats now; when we're done he walks away. Eating way too much millet.
Please help me to gain this bird's trust.
Lisa

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think your cockatiel is very tame. He already links your finger to action of scratching of his head, that is very he squeaks. Since he is not a biting bird. You can put your finger under his breast, then move upward a little bit, he will be forced to step up, you can click at that time or say step up before your finger moves upward. After he steps on your finger, you can give him a treat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Training to step up. I put finger flat on chair arm and target to approach. I use clicker and the drumstick that former keeper gave me. He wasn't "trained" with that keeper but he just wanted her! I have never held him.
If he touches my finger he squeaks and jumps back. Lowers his head for scritches but squeaks and jumps if I touch him.
He's "mine" and he does like me. Greets me in the morning, calls when he can't see me, will occasionally climb sleeve and sit on shoulder. Takes treat from my fingers. Spends most of his day within two feet of me and often sits and even sleeps on chair arm.
Hey Lisa! I'm no cockatiel expert but I found these links that are pretty useful. I hope it helps!

How to Tame
Training
Keeping 'Tiels Happy
Thank you, Ardent. These links do work and I will study them. Lisa
I think your cockatiel is very tame. He already links your finger to action of scratching of his head, that is very he squeaks. Since he is not a biting bird. You can put your finger under his breast, then move upward a little bit, he will be forced to step up, you can click at that time or say step up before your finger moves upward. After he steps on your finger, you can give him a treat.
Thank you, Daytontiel. I should amend to say "lowers his head AS IF to ask for scritches". I've never scritched his head or even touched him without scaring him. I had to catch him on the floor once, a set-back, of course, and I so want to avoid those set-backs. He has stepped up to my finger a few times if I hold my other hand behind him and touch his breast, but I don't want to force him.

Maybe I'm just not a bird person anymore: our parakeet prefers my husband and the Amazon dislikes me. I had to rehome my beloved BC Conure because my stress level from work caused him to reject me after thirteen years. This is my fourth cockatiel in fifteen years. One was taken by a hawk and the other two came to me as sick rescues and didn't live long.
Thanks again, Lisa
Training is all about treats now; when we're done he walks away. Eating way too much millet.
Please help me to gain this bird's trust.
Lisa

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why not give him a head scratch when he lows his head? Maybe he is asking for head scratching. Maybe this a way you can bond with him. I have a young cockatiel bonded to me thus way, he will flies to me and makes squeaky sounds and I will pat his head, he seems very enjoy that.]

Don't give up yet. Sometimes, this just likes a dating. There is always one bird for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not give him a head scratch when he lows his head? Maybe he is asking for head scratching. Maybe this a way you can bond with him. I have a young cockatiel bonded to me thus way, he will flies to me and makes squeaky sounds and I will pat his head, he seems very enjoy that.]

Don't give up yet. Sometimes, this just likes a dating. There is always one bird for you.
Thank you, Daytontiel! I'm seeing a little progress already with your encouragement and ideas. I really do need how-to training more than the bird does.
Lisa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts