Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Im new to the forum and I have a tiel named Chico :yellow pied: We recently got him about 3 weeks ago and has adjusted to us quite well. he was screaming alot in the first week or so but now he is chirping when he sees us and when we are both around him (excuse further typos as he likes to walk on my keyboard.) He is about 4 months now but he doesnt really chirp when im with him, hes not talkative and i was wondering if this is due to the fact that hes still young? i repeat "pretty bird" often and he has picked up on it (he vocalizes the tone more than says the word) but only says it to get out of the cage in the morning or before we put him into his cage at night so as to avoid going in because he knows we will give him attention and prolong bed time. he is very smart, but i dont get why he doesnt talk much. I work from home every day and have a few exceptional outings that are not very long. When i work its beside him or hes around me. he is out of the cage all day so long as im home and always gives us a hard time when its bed time but i do find covering the cage helps to keep him in there. But why does he not like the cage? We nap together during the day, i know alot of people worry but i have plenty of experience napping with my first cockatiel (she died of egg binding :( sadly). So we have alot of bonding time and he often naps on my shoulders while im on the computer. So why doesnt he chirp? arent male cockatiels supposed to be more talkative? and I have attached a photo of him napping on my shoulder which i found odd because my previous tiel never did it until she was laying eggs, but this is a daily occurance since he became comfotable. Is it normal? hes very active and is always playing and eating. poop is green and normal. i think hes fine just quirky but any advice would be great. Also what can i do more to keep him entertained and happy? he has plenty of toys and enjoys playing with them here and there but often he just likes sitting on the couch beside me.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
I can't really say anything about the sleeping position, but here's my thoughts on the talking:

Cockatiels are not usually big on talking. Many only sing. You're on the right path to talking, though; if you teach them to sing first they will never talk. I wouldn't be concerned.

Kirby is similar to what you described; he can say about 26 or so words, but the only one he pronounces even slightly clearly is "how are you". The others are, like you described, focused more on the speech pattern, the fluctuation of the words, than he is on enunciating (that's how we can tell what he's saying; he individualizes the speech patterns...which makes similar phrases very confusing :wacko:!)

Also, sleeping on your shoulder is usually a sign of trust. Remember; these birds are prey animals, so falling asleep is usually pretty dangerous! The fact that your tiel feels safe enough to fall asleep on you is a good sign.

I hope someone else can help you with the sleep posture question.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Babies sleep like that. It's how they slept in the nest and he never grew out of it apparently. I had a baby that would sleep like that next to my hubby when he was on the computer. He will probably grow out of it over time.

As to talking, tiels aren't big talkers, they're better at singing. Being a baby, he's not going to be good at anything yet and may not know what he's supposed to do. Are you sure you have a male? Pieds are impossible to sex visually and genetics don't help either. DNA test is the only way to know for sure and some females can be talkers.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
doesn't talk much...

Hi and welcome! I have a male pearl/pied. He is my first male cockatiel. I had 2 previous 'tiels, both female, so I don't have a lot of experience with talking birds. Bennie does talk but he is not as vocal as some male cockatiels. He is a sweetheart, though! as far as sleeping, my previous 'tiel, a lutino hen, used to like to sleep on my shoulder. Some of my favorite memories of her are when she used to sleep on my shoulder with her wing just touching my cheek. I hated to move for fear of disturbing her!
Your Chico will pick up more words the longer you have him.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey came to live with us at 2 months old, and slept that way until he was almost 6 months old. I suppose some of them take a little longer than others to get their 'big kid' habits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not actually sure hes a boy, no DNA test im just assuming based on his talkativeness that he is one, also that he doesnt have spots under his wing. my previous tiel was also a pied and she had the spots under and was way less talkative. so im just assuming.

As for the talking, im sure he will eventually pick it up. But what about chirping? he isnt much of a chirper unless me and my husband are home together and spend time with him. but when im with him separately he does say a word...

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Some birds are more quiet than others and he is still a baby. One of the babies I had didn't make a peep until he was almost 8 months old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts