Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you play a musical instrument? How does your cockatiel respond to it? I am not musically inclined, but have always liked recorder music. so to celebrate a recent "milestone" birthday, I bought one. I was playing the simple 2 or 3 note beginner practice pieces. Bennie sat in his cage with his back to me, but looking over his shoulder watching me. I'm not sure how to take that! :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
JoJo used to love music when the radio played or when it came on the TV...at first he just stared, but then he started singing with it. It was pretty cute. Milo whistles loudly when he hears it or if I am humming a tune. Don't know if he likes it or he is telling me to hush. I am trying to teach him a couple of tunes, but he only has a few notes of one. Your Bennie will probably like it in time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hmm it's hard to tell.. I play a saxophone and Maxi chirps a lot when I do .. I used to always think she liked it! If I play it around my cat he definitely freaks out, so who knows, Maxi might be telling me to be quiet ;)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Neither hubby or I play any instruments, but Joey does love music. His favorites are Judas Priest, The Ramones, Megadeth and Ray Charles. When Judas Priest is on, he will dance and sing along. I've managed to get a bit of video, but when I tried to put it online, the way the tv was flickering because of it being a Blu-ray of a live show (all the lasers and stage lights), it makes the bars of the cage look wavery and horrible. I will have to see if I can somehow enhance the video to remove that.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yes, I do play the piano and other instruments. Unfortunately my boy and I don't have the same taste. :) He likes pieces in major keys ("happy" pieces) and I prefer pieces in minor keys ("sad" pieces). He gets quite upset when I play sad music. :( He does love Mozart though!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I play guitar, bass, and drums. Drums are in the garage so he doesn't hear those (which is probably good!) but I play guitar and bass in the room with him and he seems to enjoy it. He'll whistle and chirp if I hit a higher note like he is trying to sing along lol.

J

·
0 Posts
Rascal seems to love the radio because he starts singing when it's on... the radio and the vacuum cleaner (oh my goodness how much he loves that vacuum cleaner lol). He immediately flys onto me when I start vacuuming and starts singing away as I vacuum... it's his favorite hehe :D

I think the radio makes them feels less alone =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts