Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I recently got a new cockatiel.

I have a 45cm x 35cm cage that I can house him in, or I can put him in an 80cm x 80cm x 80cm cage with 2 other budgies, what do you recommend I do?
Is the first cage I mentioned big enough for 1 tiel? Also, do tiels like mirrors and bells in their cage?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Cockatiels love to play with bells and mirrors. That cage I would say is minimum size for a bird who is out for several hours a day. Living with budgies is fine as long as the budgies don’t start breeding but you will still have to keep them separate until they have got to know each other. So maybe have your cockatiel in the small cage next to the budgies while they meet for a few weeks then start letting them out at the same time to see how they get on. If they don’t get on your cockatiel will need a larger cage for its self. Also don’t over crowd the cage with too many toys other wise your bird can’t stretch it’s wings and can actually damage them too

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I wouldn't recommend housing them with budgies. Budgies can be bullies and be mean to tiels, especially if you have female budgies. The minimum cage would be fine as long as the bird gets out of cage time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cockatiels love to play with bells and mirrors. That cage I would say is minimum size for a bird who is out for several hours a day. Living with budgies is fine as long as the budgies don’t start breeding but you will still have to keep them separate until they have got to know each other. So maybe have your cockatiel in the small cage next to the budgies while they meet for a few weeks then start letting them out at the same time to see how they get on. If they don’t get on your cockatiel will need a larger cage for its self. Also don’t over crowd the cage with too many toys other wise your bird can’t stretch it’s wings and can actually damage them too
So from this I can understand that tiels can enjoy being around budgies but at first I should keep them in separate cages right next to each other?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
They can enjoy each other but they don't need to be housed together. Budgies can be territorial and bully your tiel. It's best to keep them separate and only let them interact during supervised out of cage time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.