Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I should get my 5 month old cockatiel a friend. I am starting school soon and I don't want him/her to get lonely. It is rare when nobody is home but I am the one who mainly spends time with him/her (i don't know its sex). Should I get him/her a friend?

Thank you! :grey tiel:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Dan! :D Although getting a new friend for your cockatiel could be a great idea, there are a few things you should consider before doing so.

1) Do you want another bird?

2) When two cockatiels are introduced to each other, they usually become best friends with each other. If your cockatiel is tame and loves you he will continue to be tame and love you, but you will no longer be his best friend.

3) If you don't know your cockatiel's sex and you get a cockatiel of the opposite sex they might breed.

4) Although cockatiels generally will get along with each other, there is no guarantee that they will and you will have to be prepared to house them separately or rehome one of them if they end up not getting along. Some people say that hand-reared cockatiels don't bond with other cockatiels as easily as parent-raised ones do.

5) You will have to quarantine the new bird for 30 days to be safe. During this period of time they need to be in separate cages and separate rooms.

My advice would be to see how well your cockatiel does when you start going to school. Take him out of his cage and spend time with him for at least 30 minutes every morning. See if you can integrate him into your morning routine. When you get home, spend time with him again and let him be with you when you do your homework if possible. Try to put him in a busy area in your house so he can be part of the excitement while you're gone. He might cope just fine, especially since there will be other people at home while you're gone. That being said, getting a friend for him might be best if you can't spend at least 3 hours with him daily.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts