Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dodge and Chev are about to be parents :) update, need help

First Thank you to everyone for thier help.
Some might have seen my other posts, i took over a breeding pair (My baby girls parents :) ) but they started to lay when i got them so they came with 2 eggs.........

well dodge (dad) started incubating but Chev (mum) didnt. she then talked him into doing the dirty dance :rolleyes: and started laying again.

first 2 eggs become early DIS leaving another 3 that she laid. were now on day 17 for egg#3, day 15 for egg # 4 and day 13 for #5

I asked about when i should get some pipping after checking this morning, finding lots of movement and a large tilted air sack.........

checked again just now and WE HAVE PIPPING!! woohoo! :)

Im very excited but VERY scared about losing babies. The pair are a proven pair and are very good with babies.

all is going well so far....... fingers crossed!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
This is great news! Keeping fingers crossed!! It's going to be hard and try to keep track of everyone's clutches! :) Do you have everything you need as far as supplies go? Such as a brooder box ready and hand feeding supplies for just in case? Also, do you have a gram scale so you can keep a good eye on the little ones' weights? Even with mom and dad feeding them, it's a good idea to weigh them daily to make sure everyone is getting fed properly. So exciting!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes yes and yes :)
All supplies are ready to go for any just in case situation :)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Superb!! Now you just sit and wait and get anxious and stressed and all that good stuff! :)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
:D I was just realizing your bird's names.. what are you thinking.. baby Ford? Sticking with American made or are you considering imports? :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you mean very stressed and freaked out!!! HAHAHA

I just did another check (its 11pm here in Australia) and chick is moving nicely, pip isnt any bigger........ hopefully some progress tomorrow.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HAHAHA i didnt name them :) Lucky im a car lover lol

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have chirping!!! It's day 18 for egg 3.
Pipping hasn't gotten bigger just yet but great movement and colour in the egg and sweet little chirping :)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
That's a great sign! :) Keeping fingers crossed for you! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More pipping and thumping has started :) happy with how its going so far :)

Whats the best sign as to when i may need to assist??

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chirping is geetting more and more but not as much pipping as i thought there would be :(

How long do i give it before i help in a small way?

There is lots of thumping type movement and chirping but no pipping progress. Chirping was noticed at 11am this morning, was checked previous at 8am (its now 8.21pm)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
How is the chick this morning? Just got on and saw your post. Keeping fingers crossed for you! You may have a little furball today sometime! :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well its 10.00pm here in australia :)
But i cant sleep knowing its almost here!! LOL

heaps of movement, lots of chirping and banging going on. Not a huge amount of pipping though....... BUT im not sure how much its ment to be either?

im so nervous! lol

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
What do the pip marks look like? I mean do they seem to be made horizontally across the egg? Or more vertically? Or just all in a bunch? And when you candle the egg.. what do you see now?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The pip marks are going across the egg, theres 3 little marks in a line. its really hard to tell what im looking at when i candle it........ no idea really lol

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Assisted hatches are a tough call. I always think afterwards that if I waited just a bit longer, things might have been different.

Try this.. mark the egg with a marker very lightly on the pips you see. Well at least the latest one. Then check again in a little bit to see if there are any more marks. Today was the first day of chirping.. right? I'm getting a little confused and trying to add on a day because you are ahead of me in time. lol The thing is.. while the baby is chirping, the yolk sac is getting drawn in. I am not a good one to guide you on an assist hatch as I don't have a good success rate.

Here is one thread that I've found on assisted hatches..
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=19518&highlight=assisted+hatch

You can also click on Srtiels links and she has some great information/tips and pictures. This will help you get prepared. I have to run out for a bit.. will be back later on. I'm sure others will be available to help you out though. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts