Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short the past year and a half my fiance has been living/working out of town. In that time is when I got my two tiels, who I love. He would come home every other weekend and was fine with them. A couple weeks ago our daughter, our birds and I moved out to Chicago where he has been living and turns out he's not a big fan of living with the birds :( He's not mean to them by any means but it's still pretty upsetting!

So I was just wondering if anyone was in similar positions having a family member who isn't so crazy about our feathered friends?

·
Registered
885 Posts
My husband doesn't LOVE my birds, he tolerates them lol. But he knows i'm a crazy bird lady so he just suffers in silence I guess LOL.

J

·
0 Posts
Why doesn't he like birds? Is it the noise or the mess? I've messed proofed my tiel's cage area so there are no mess issues anymore and my tiel, thank god, is super quiet all day as long as I allow him to sit on me lol.

If I had a boyfriend, which thank god I do not... I would tell him to get over himself. If my tiels are no good... then that man is no good for me. I ain't putting up with no *** from any man... take me as I am or take a hike.. ha! :p

·
Registered
648 Posts
My boyfriend initially was indifferent. He wouldn't touch them but he didn't mind them around either. Now he's fallen in love with one of them! Not so much the other since she hates him and tries to bite his face off regularly haha but it's a start. Regardless of if he liked them or not they wouldn't be going anywhere though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh they aren't going anywhere at all! Haha my male hates him and the other one loves him as well although he won't give her the time of day! lol

I think its the mess that he doesn't like, mostly the poop when they are out of the cage (even though I clean up behind them constantly).

·
Registered
885 Posts
Panda has taken a liking to my husband and he pretends he doesn't like the attention, but he's secretly loving it LOL He's a real GUY about everything so he'd never admit it but I can see right through him :p

The out-of-cage poop is the thing he has the biggest issue with. He doesn't care much about anything else. Except if they're loud when the V8's are on tv (aussie thing) but that's the one thing he gets entirely to himself so I either put them outside or take them upstairs with me during those times :p

·
Registered
255 Posts
My fiance and I are animal people, he loves the birds :)

Some of my family likes them, some don't. But the birds don't like them either, so myeh :p

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I don't have a significant other, but my father doesn't mind the birds. The only thing he doesn't like is their poop. He really has some objection to bird poop

J

·
0 Posts
So long story short the past year and a half my fiance has been living/working out of town. In that time is when I got my two tiels, who I love. He would come home every other weekend and was fine with them. A couple weeks ago our daughter, our birds and I moved out to Chicago where he has been living and turns out he's not a big fan of living with the birds :( He's not mean to them by any means but it's still pretty upsetting!

So I was just wondering if anyone was in similar positions having a family member who isn't so crazy about our feathered friends?
You are lucky you only have 2 tiels... I am contemplating having 2 tiels and one GCC and GCC poop I hear is bigger/sloppier than tiel poop LOL I'm not a big fan of bird poop or any poop for that matter... but thank goodness I don't own any Macaws.. that would be like having a horse or human popping in your house 24/7. Tell that to your boyfriend so he gets a better perspective and appreciation for the tiny poops tiel do :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
My husband is a animal lover. But when it comes to birds...well he's not the biggest fan. However, Jarvis loves him so so much. And is always in his face wanting attention.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If I had a boyfriend, which thank god I do not... I would tell him to get over himself. If my tiels are no good... then that man is no good for me. I ain't putting up with no *** from any man... take me as I am or take a hike.. ha! :p
That's so funny Juliet! I hear you. I always say I'll settle down just as soon as I can find a vegan bird lover who doesn't want kids, doesn't mind where we live and lets me control the thermostat ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
My boyfriend hates my tiel, Lorenzo. He thinks he is too loud, especially in the mornings. It's part of the reason I got Lorenzo clipped. My boyfriend hated when Lorenzo would fly all over. He would perch on top of the windows and screech loudly. We couldn't get him to come down. He also told me that when we move I will not be bringing Lorenzo with me but I won't let that happen. He's fine with my budgie Hamlet though. Hamlet entertains himself for the most part and isn't very loud. It's upsetting that he doesn't like Lorenzo. I wish he did so we could both bond with him. Lorenzo definitely doesn't like my boyfriend too much though, I think he can sense his feelings.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
That's so funny Juliet! I hear you. I always say I'll settle down just as soon as I can find a vegan bird lover who doesn't want kids, doesn't mind where we live and lets me control the thermostat ;)
Don't want much, do ya? :rofl::lol::rofl:

Hubs loves Joey, but gets frustrated on days he is loud and screechy. It is a lot better than it used to be but there are still days when he is. He got Joey for me two Christmases ago, because I was missing my mom's little guy. We stayed with mom temporarily after moving back from the UK, and I got QUITE attached to Moe. Hubs had a tiel, Eric, when we first met. He was older and settled, and a very cool little guy.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am lucky as my husband loves both my birds...he stops by their cages regularly and talks with them, and even ventures to hold Milo now. He is a softy, and loves all our animals so much. Milo will even talk with him on the phone, and kisses the phone when hubs is on the other end. He cried with me when JoJo passed too.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
My husband has never been a huge fan of pet birds, but he knows I love my cockatiels and he tries his best to be understanding.
He has even learned to share his tortilla chips with our tiels , lol. It has taken four years for my husband to understand that pet birds can be a lot of fun too, just as well as dogs and cats are.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My hubs loves our birds, however I am sure that would change quickly if he had to look after them...lol he pops into the bird room and plays with them when he feels like it... They are more like fun interactive little toys to him.. I however feed and clean up after and adore my feathered babies... So I don't mind him not helping, to be honest I would rather do it myself then I know it is done right...lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
My siblings don't really understand why I like birds so much, but no one in my family dislikes Obi. I just happen to be the only one who is super crazy about birds.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My hubs loves our birds, however I am sure that would change quickly if he had to look after them...lol he pops into the bird room and plays with them when he feels like it... They are more like fun interactive little toys to him.. I however feed and clean up after and adore my feathered babies... So I don't mind him not helping, to be honest I would rather do it myself then I know it is done right...lol[/QUOTE
Oh I agree 100%. I like to do it all myself. Usually when I have babies inside for handrearing I will give them to him to watch while I get their feed ready and he loves them but the mess if he tried would not be worth it lol

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My hubs loves our birds, however I am sure that would change quickly if he had to look after them...lol he pops into the bird room and plays with them when he feels like it... They are more like fun interactive little toys to him.. I however feed and clean up after and adore my feathered babies... So I don't mind him not helping, to be honest I would rather do it myself then I know it is done right...lol[/QUOTE
Oh I agree 100%. I like to do it all myself. Usually when I have babies inside for handrearing I will give them to him to watch while I get their feed ready and he loves them but the mess if he tried would not be worth it lol
I could never let hubs feed my babies. He would want to keep every one...lol I just made a tub for holding babies waiting to be fed... They kept climbing out of the gallon bucket I had them in, now I put them in here and they stay contained until it is their turn...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts