Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darla and buttercup both sing, it's quiet most of the time like they're singing to themselves and it's cute little tunes. Definitely not flock calling in any way. Sometimes it sounds like they're muttering to themselves as they walk around and Sometimes they'll get really into it and sing a little tune louder and flap their wings or hang upside down. They only ever do it one at a time, never singing together. When I told a vet nurse about it she said it's really weird for girls to do that and so did pet shop employees (not that i put much faith in pet shop employee opinions to be honest). Just wondering if other peoples females do this also?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I wish Peppy did. Maybe it is because there are two of them. She recognises familiar tunes though and gives a screech when they come on. There is a chance of me re-homing a male that was born at the same time who has learnt tunes. I wouldn't want them breeding though. Can anyone tell me if this is inevitable if they are not kept separately.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
I wish Peppy did. Maybe it is because there are two of them. She recognises familiar tunes though and gives a screech when they come on. There is a chance of me re-homing a male that was born at the same time who has learnt tunes. I wouldn't want them breeding though. Can anyone tell me if this is inevitable if they are not kept separately.
They wont breed unless they have a nest box :) im hoping to soon be getting another tiel

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cockatiels can and do breed without a nest box, though obviously a nest box makes it a lot more convenient for them. Some lay eggs on the cage floor. Some lay them in any dark safe looking place they can find like under a couch or in a closet or behind a fridge.. Or anywhere really. Some even just lay them whilst sitting on perch and let it fall where it will. It is very likely your birds will end up breeding if you put them together. I'd be pretty surprised if they never did. The only way to make sure 110% that they don't breed is it to keep them separate. I'm not sure if you meant they are related when you said they were born at the same time but if they are related it is pretty vital they're kept apart. If there is ever any chance of related birds breeding it should be dealt to ensure that they can't.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's hard to describe the sound. Often it sounds like a lot of gurgling chirps that turns into a kind of laughing sound. Then sometimes they'll make an actual tune. It's definitely not just your usual chirping as it's consistent and the sounds run together in the way that a song would. I've had a male before who sang and whilst his was definitely a better singing voice it's still the same kind of thing that they are doing, only not as well or anywhere near as loud (he screamed his songs lol). Perhaps I'm over thinking it and it's completely normal but I was always told that only males do this kind of thing and I've never heard a female do it before now. Buttercup started it and I was just like "ok she's just a little different" but now they both do it occasionally so I don't know lol.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I thought Chewy was a boy for the first 6 months we had her because she was way more vocal than our other female at the time, not whistling tunes but definitely had her own chatter that was different from the typical flock call she also had. Turns out she's a girl :p it was hard to get used to not calling her a "him" for a while!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds about the same as mine :) maybe "tune" was too generous of a describing word haha, it sounds like a tune sung by someone who can't really hold a tune. I suppose it's normal and they're just loud girls :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
My baby was DNAd And is female she is still young but she makes sounds that are not flock calling. Lol I don't know how to explain it but she sounds like either a grunting or laughing monkey lol no tunes though. Maybe you can get a video

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try but it's hard because usually it's not for long. Buttercup was DNA sexed female and Darla is definitely female since I know her parents mutations. I'll have to follow them around with a camera :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
My female whiteface cinnamon pearl sings, but it's garbled and short... though LOUD. She does it when her boyfriend is ignoring her, or when everyone else in the flock is quiet. She has her own song, and doesn't repeat what the others all say and sing. Quite honestly, she sometimes sounds like a turkey. Lol.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It does sound a lot like a money laugh a lot of the time like lillahine said. Buttercup was just doing it for about half an hour, taking little breaks now and then. Of course those breaks were when I had the camera on her lol.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Mine don't. They do sometimes chatter softly, and they can be quite noisy, sometimes noisier than the males, but they definitely don't sing songs. It would be cute if they did. :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
My uncle has a cockatiel its definitely a female he got it Dna tested and shes always very noisy singing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts