Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a couple of questions... the first,
- Do tiels preen each other when they are a bonding pair? or do they do it as friends too... and
-can you teach tame tiels to preen each other? and if so, how?
my friend wants to know... as she has 3 tame tiels who never preen each other
who has tiels that preen each other? does it happen often?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
It's a friendship thing, as well as a bonded pair thing. Cookie just barely tolerates Bailee, but with a bit of trickery on my part she now accepts head scratches from him as well as all three of her budgie boyfriends. I think she's just a sucker for attention to be honest. :p

I managed to score Bailee a head scratch my scratching Cookie's head and letting him sneak up and join in. Then i moved my hand away and voila! Bailee was scratching Cookie's head. ;) Once she figured out it was him she got pretty cranky, but she's happy to let him scratch her head now after a few more sneaky scratch sessions.

As well as everyone else

She never does return the favour though, spoilt princess. :p

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahahaha :D
that is awesome, those photos look like they should be framed and sold ;)
i shall tell my friend about sneaky preening!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Cookie is so funny! She'll talk any boy into head scritches! I tried the trick too Bea when it looked like Ziggy was trying to lean in but it turns out he was trying to get to my ring not Baby's head...He's a little slow..lol

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I did the same thing as Bea the sneaky approach...hehe it worked for about 30 secs till Minnie figured out it wasn't me giving her scratches it was Ollie :eek: she was not to happy about it and told him off...lol none of mine preen each other openly I see them do it occasionally in a sneaky way when the other is not looking I have some strange tiels :rolleyes: Ollie will not try and preen either of the girls but he will openly try and preen his girlfriend Pepper (our dog) :p

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
well hugs and slush always preened each other being brother and sister but it got to the point hugs was plucking slush so i couldn't allow it anymore. Now its just me and my sister giving scritches to hugs. Slush wont let us do it. I have managed to get sonic to preen hugs by me starting and sonic come over and start s o i'd stop.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I give Spike scritches and them my Mom tries to sneak in. Boy does Spike get mad when he sees who it is. Now when I give scritches and my Mom is near. He watches and makes sure she won't try anything :p

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I give Spike scritches and them my Mom tries to sneak in. Boy does Spike get mad when he sees who it is. Now when I give scritches and my Mom is near. He watches and makes sure she won't try anything :p
Baby does the same thing now! She keeps one eye open to make sure Ziggy is not trying anything!:eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the same thing as Bea the sneaky approach...hehe it worked for about 30 secs till Minnie figured out it wasn't me giving her scratches it was Ollie :eek: she was not to happy about it and told him off...lol none of mine preen each other openly I see them do it occasionally in a sneaky way when the other is not looking I have some strange tiels :rolleyes: Ollie will not try and preen either of the girls but he will openly try and preen his girlfriend Pepper (our dog) :p
my friends have 2 girls and a 'cocky' boy too...
it might just be that they are all so happy being part of the human 'flock' that they dont want to be preened by the 'lower ranking' members of the 'flock' :confused: ...
endless possibilities...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
my friends have 2 girls and a 'cocky' boy too...
it might just be that they are all so happy being part of the human 'flock' that they dont want to be preened by the 'lower ranking' members of the 'flock' :confused: ...
endless possibilities...:rolleyes:
thats the way it is in my house, mine like being in our company more so then with each other they tolerate each other but rarely hang together :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
i've got 4 females and they all preen eachother, and 2 of them that are getting more comfertable with us, let us give them scratches every now and then

the ones i got from the rescue still aren't keen on humans, but they do preen eachother

1 - 13 of 13 Posts