Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two young tiels, almost 8 weeks. I got them from a breeder and they look small compared to an adult bird. I know they were weaned a little over a week ago, and weren't hand fed. When I am able to have one of them on my hand, they don't feel very heavy but that's a bad way to tell I know... They would probably be too scared of going outside their cage to get weighed haha

Anyway! I am going to the vet hopefully soon to investigate their droppings, as their urates have a creamy greenish yellowish tinge to them... But I was wondering in general, do they continue to grow after 7 weeks? How long do they keep growing?

I read somewhere that they start to lose weight at this age so they can fly... but they fly fine (though clumsily in their cage) and look a little skinny to the eye already (esp the grey). They eat everything I have given them so far too, and pretty much all day with a few little breaks in between!

Here's what they look like. I tried to get something beside them to compare the size but couldn't really find anything that would fit in the picture xD so hopefully the things at the cage bottom will be enough... and I roughly measured their length head to tail and it's about 23 or 25 cm, but I couldn't get the ruler near them enough so that's not entirely accurate.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aww, they're adorable! :love: They look okay to me, but weighing them would be a very good idea if you're concerned. They do tend to be at their heaviest around this age, but as they mature, they should gain a bit of muscle mass/fill out a bit.

·
Registered
885 Posts
6-7 weeks seems a bit early to be fully weaned, mine usually wean anywhere from 8-12 weeks. But if they're eating okay and not begging for food it shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as they don't regress.

I highly recommend weighing them daily (with a gram scale) and recording their weight so you can catch any significant drops in weight early on.

Zoe is 13 weeks old tomorrow and she's grown a lot since 7 weeks. Her body in general got bigger and her tailfeathers grew to full size although her weight has pretty much stabilized around 70-74 grams.

They are adorable though! Congrats on your new babies!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much! :D
They would definitely be too scared for me to be able to weigh them (they were parent fed and aren't quite tame yet), but I just came up with the idea that in maybe a few more days when they're more used to me and this room (and when they aren't so stressed.. today i think was quite a stressful day for them. Needed to clean the papers and put them with the cage frame on the ground and they REALLY freaked out at the carpet once they stepped on it), I could weigh the carrier cage I had them in before, and then put them in there one by one! That would probably be the easiest way... I hope! Wish me luck for when the time comes. I'll update then.

And I agree it seems early to be weaned! The breeder was I think not well informed, but I wanted these particular babies so bad, so now I will be responsibly caring for them instead c: They are eating perfectly well and are accepting all the veggies and pellets I have switched them onto

·
Registered
885 Posts
It's fantastic that they're eating a varied diet! My adults will eat some fruits and veggies but they won't touch pellets lol. Zoe's not a huge fan of pellets either but she'll eat them if there's nothing else (I rotate between pellets and seeds)

Weighing the carrier cage and then putting them in one by one is an excellent idea! That's how I have to weigh my adults because they're not particularly tame and getting them to sit on the scale would be impossible lol.

I'm interested to hear what their weights are!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's fantastic that they're eating a varied diet! My adults will eat some fruits and veggies but they won't touch pellets lol. Zoe's not a huge fan of pellets either but she'll eat them if there's nothing else (I rotate between pellets and seeds)

Weighing the carrier cage and then putting them in one by one is an excellent idea! That's how I have to weigh my adults because they're not particularly tame and getting them to sit on the scale would be impossible lol.

I'm interested to hear what their weights are!
Alright so I kind of managed to weigh Pat (the grey cockatiel) by putting a sheet of paper towel on the scale and placing some millet on it to lure him with. He didn't like being in the carrier, and was moving about too much so I couldn't get a weight using it since it didn't have a flat base either and was moving about. The weight I got using the luring technique was about 80-85 grams (he kept moving), which I think would be alright? The lutino, Mat, definitely weighs more than him too.

Also, my mom pointed out that they did actually get a little bit bigger from earlier this week. Their eyes look a little smaller compared to how huge they looked the first day or two we had them! So they must be growing :D

Also... I take back what I said about the pellets. I just introduced them to nutriberries instead of the generic seed mix they were weaned on, and they've taken a HUGE liking of them over the pellets! I'll have to find a way to work around this

·
Registered
885 Posts
80-85 grams is perfect! Zoe is around 72 grams but she's always going to be a petite bird.

Lol weighing them is both hilarious and infuriating sometimes XD

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from the vet who weighed them both. Pat is exactly 82g and Mat is 83g :) The vet said that it is a good weight, but that they are a little scrawny xD but that it is probably just the way they are.

Good to know they will grow! Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts