Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick background on my bird.
14 weeks old, very happy bird.he had been recently wormed when I bought him. Spends a lot of time on and with me, plays with toys. He is still eating mostly seed but he does have a pellet snack sometimes and he's a good boy about eating his raw veggies.
There are no other animals in the house. He comes on my shoulder in his harness in public and every couple of days I put him outside in his cage for an hour or so where he can get some sun if he likes, otherwise he stays inside.

I'm wondering if I should be worming him and/or treating him for mites? I have read a few things but I'm still not 100% clear on weather worming and mite spray is mostly for aviary birds.

Thanks in advance guys. Much love to you and your birdies.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well, like my signature says, I'm not a vet or bird expert in any way, and I could very well be wrong in saying this, but I take Kirby out all the time and don't constantly treat him for worms. I used to take him out on a bike ride every morning, but recently I got sick and got behind in schoolwork, so I decided to stop the morning exercise for now. I also take him up to the bird rescue that I work at so that he can play with the other volunteers (he was a bit of a favorite before I adopted him). We have three dogs and no other birds, and Kirby spends most of his time on his playgym in my room or on a perch.

Also, can I suggest adding more pellet to your bird's diet? Though a tiel's diet should consist of more seed than some birds, a seed-only diet is still bad for them and can even shorten their lifespan. Though kudos for getting yours to eat his veggies! I can't get Kirby to touch them with a ten foot pole :lol:

Hope this helps :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
There should be no need to deworm a bird at all. Or worry about mites unless you are actually seeing them. A lot of the over the counter stuff you see in stores are not very safe to use around birds anyways. I've never had a need to deworm my birds, ever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts