Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We have just bought a cockatiel which we were told was between 13and 14 months old and all healthy. But when we came home we noticed a bold patch on it's head and one under it's beak. Also, there are a few of the lo g feathers missing on right wing. These look like they were pulled out. Will they grow back? I am quite worried it's not well :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes. Always get a health check from a vet ASAP when you introduce any new animal to your home. Preferably, do this BEFORE you take the animal home. Keep the animal separate from other animals for as long as the vet advises. My vets have recommended a month of quarantine for birds.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The bold behind crest, is common for some color mutation, such as lutino. Their skin under beak is bare, only cover by feather from both side. Wing feather missing is unusual. I do see tail feather broken when young bird starts flying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Always get a health check from a vet ASAP when you introduce any new animal to your home. Preferably, do this BEFORE you take the animal home. Keep the animal separate from other animals for as long as the vet advises. My vets have recommended a month of quarantine for birds.
Thank you, i don't have any other pets, so he/she is safe. Will call vet tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bold behind crest, is common for some color mutation, such as lutino. Their skin under beak is bare, only cover by feather from both side. Wing feather missing is unusual. I do see tail feather broken when young bird starts flying.
Yes, it's white and yellow. To me it looks like he wasn't taken good care of. Maybe someone grabbed it by a wing. Are patches under the wings ok as well?

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is lutino, as I said before, bald behind crest is common. Patch under wing is not common,which could be pluck by parents or some other issue. The wing feather appear to be clipped? This bird looks very young to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts