Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do cockatiels remember every little detail that happens in their life because when i first got Rocko he was very frightened different than most other birds I never saw a bird other than rocko to be this much frightened well anyways when i went to the petshop to get a cockatiel there was only 2 left rocko and another they were housed with lots of budgies and rocko seemed very interested in me so i picked him he was very quiet though and the other one was happy making noises but i still chose rocko maybe the other one was a male and rocko could in fact be a female i only thought of this now lol so when i got rocko home i opened the box and put it up to the cage door but he didnt go in the cage he squished out of the box a flew out under the kitchen table i then looked in the box and saw lots of blood and rockos eye was dripping blood lots of it i heard if cockatiels get too frightened they can pop a blood vessel in their eye my mam got a towel and picked him up but he got out on top of the table and she tried to pick him up again and he held on to her finger very hard with his beak but he let me wipe the blood from his eye and i was also the one that got him in the cage and he start to settle down after i brought him to my bedroom and to this day now he lets everybody touch him but my mam always tries to interact with him but he always hisses at her and she sings to him but he always just hisses and he never bites me or anybody else but im sure by the look of him he would bite my mam if she went close to him anything i can do also this is the complete opposite with our african grey tiko she loves everybody in the house but for some reason i dont think she likes me when i say step up she lifts one leg and then tries to bite me and when i give her treats outside the cage she tries to bite and i always talk to her and stuff i never did anything wrong to her:grey tiel:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm not sure they would remember everything in their life, but they would surely remember eventful or scary things. My 'tiel had a fear of towels and hands when I first got her. It took a while to get rid of the hand fear by associating it with positive things like treats and petting. She still has not gotten over the towel one and gets overheated very fast when I towel her. I was only able to towel her a few times for nail trims and medicine without any problems. I think for 'tiels trauma can either be like PTSD or something bad they can eventually get over. There are some cockatiels that get very nervous over everything that happens so they may have had a very traumatic experience in the past. Theoretically, if you work hard with them on desensitizing them from the fear then it can be overcome by them. But you have to find a way that works for them. That's the hard part.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure they would remember everything in their life, but they would surely remember eventful or scary things. My 'tiel had a fear of towels and hands when I first got her. It took a while to get rid of the hand fear by associating it with positive things like treats and petting. She still has not gotten over the towel one and gets overheated very fast when I towel her. I was only able to towel her a few times for nail trims and medicine without any problems. I think for 'tiels trauma can either be like PTSD or something bad they can eventually get over. There are some cockatiels that get very nervous over everything that happens so they may have had a very traumatic experience in the past. Theoretically, if you work hard with them on desensitizing them from the fear then it can be overcome by them. But you have to find a way that works for them. That's the hard part.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Maybe they do. I am not sure that cookie has forgiven me till this day because i broke his nail, even though it was alright in 2 mins. And i am the one who treated it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts