Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked up alot of information on cockatiels, but this didn't answer it.
I put in cockatiel grit in the search bar and it came up with loads of websites, about 10 said yes they do need grit and about 10 said they don't:confused:

Do you give your cockatiel(s) grit ????

~~*Sophia*~~:p

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I don't give it to mine, Parrots that eat seed whole without shelling it first require grit, but cockatiels shell their seed before eating it so grit should not be provided .

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You will still find sources saying they do need it, as it's only quite recently that it's been proven that hookbills (tiels, budgies, etc) do not need grit. So no grit, it's unnecessary and can actually cause crop problems.

·
Banned
105 Posts
They only need a little bit of grit every couple so often, which is provided in their cuttlebone. If you don't give them cuttlebone, and use something else for their calcium(ex. Manu, lava rock), then yes a touch of grit ever few months even ever year is fine, is needed. They do not need it everyday or anything since it takes them along time to digest it. And when it builds up, that's when the problems occur. so if you give them cuttlebone then know you don't need it at all. Unless of course your avian vet says otherwise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts