Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious. Many birds, even those who eat mainly plant material, will have some insects in their diet. And many seed-eating birds feed insects to their nestlings for the extra protein. I once offered Bennie a live mealworm and he hissed at it! Not that I am planning to start feeding him "bugs", but I just wondered. Does anyone know if wild cockatiels ever eat any insects?

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Yes! Mine have had a nibble of a mealworm and Jaid licked an ant once and just ate it. They hated both :lol: It's a small source of protein, but I think they'd rather stick to seeds over insects ;)

·
Registered
878 Posts
A friend in NY City once heard her tiel making an unusual crunching sound - when she looked closely her tiel was munching on a giant waterbug (cityspeak for giant cockroaches that grow there year-round, like the ones I've seen in warm climates.) Fortunately the bird didn't get sick because the bugs can survive extermination attempts and carry poison.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eating insects

Wow, that' pretty cool, especially the roach! But picking midges off the windowsill is pretty cool too.
After I posted this I remembered something I had read about a woman who had an African Grey parrot. The bird had learned to say "Yumm-yumm" when it was eating something it liked. One day the parrot flew to the floor and the owner heard it saying "Yumm-yumm." She went to investigate and saw "a bunch of legs" sticking out of either side of the bird's beak! :) It had found and was eating a rather large spider!
I agree; I think I'll let Bennie get his protein from other sources.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I haven't witnessed any insect-eating action over my way. But, often there's insect-interaction when the 'tiels are outside in their sun cage. They hiss and panic when a butterfly flutters close by, and back away as fast as possible whenever a wasp or bee decides to pay a visit. Luckily there haven't been any close calls with the wasps/bees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts