Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I am curious to know if any of you on here make their own seed mixes for their cockatiels. I am wanting to start making my own mixes for Fable and Lore. They come home tomorrow (after being in foster care for the past year and a half. Long story). They are already eating Roudybush as their primary diet and their foster family has been giving them millet spray as treats. They are offered veggies daily, along with the foster families other parrots. But, Fable and Lore have never been good veggie eaters. I've been doing a lot of research into the diets of wild cockatiels. They do eat quiet a bit of grain and seeds in the wild, and parts of grass plants. I'm wanting to start sprouting seeds for them, to increase the nutritional value of seed. But I'm really leery about buying mixed seed from pet stores. It's hard to determine how fresh the seed is and so often there are a lot of unnecessary additives in the mix and parts that get completely uneaten and wasted.

Anyway, long story short, I want to start making my own seed mixes for my birds using food grade seeds. Do any of you guys do this? If so, what mixes of seeds do you recommend? Yesterday I went to the store and bought small amounts of bulk seed, I was not able to find everything I wanted to try for them though. These are the seeds I got. Hulled millet, wheat berries, whole oats, pearled barley, flaxseed, and mung bean. The book I've been reading about wild cockatiels says that the vast majority of their diet consists of Sorghum grain, wheat, and grasses such as Panicum. I had never even heard of sorghum or panicum before. Do you guys know if it's possible to buy these in bulk somewhere?

I plan to not mix these seeds together right away, but instead to offer them in small amounts during feedings so that I can observe what Fable and Lore prefer. This should help me decide the quantities for mixing the seeds.

I would appreciate any advice you have on this topic. Thanks guys!

Miranda Joy

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just did this last week check out mysafebirdstore.com and somewhere in their food section is a list of individual seed types (i.e. various types of millet, safflower, canary grass seed etc ) the seeds are really fresh and within 9 hours of soaking them they had already started opening up some even started sprouting right away.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I know that some of the larger aviaries mix their own seed because it's cheaper than buying the pre-mixed ones. As for where to buy them, often you can get good prices at Bulk stores, such as the Bulk Barn (Here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada).

Hopefully people will have better advice than what I can give :)

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Warning, DO NOT sprout sorghum! It produces lots of prussic acid (cyanide) when it's sprouted. Unripe sorghum seed and mature dry sorghum seed are fine, but not sprouts or green plant stalks. So if you want to plant some sorghum and feed the unripe seed to your birds, that's fine. I do this and they love it.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0308814688900593
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1984.tb13212.x/abstract

The natural diet of wild cockatiels consists primarily of grass seed. Wild birds prefer unripe seed when they can get it, apparently because it's higher in protein than mature seed. Wild cockatiels in grain-growing districts like to feast on farm crops. Sorghum is their favorite, they even prefer it to sunflower seed. Panicum is a type of millet, and we know how cockatiels love millet spray.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts