Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
21 - 40 of 206 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Ok, now I am inspired to make a playgym outta PVC pipe, with Vet wrap. Now to go break that piggy bank of mine! It will take me a while, but when I am finished, I will show it to you guys.

· Registered
4,850 Posts
This is the play gym My boyfriend made when the only birds I had was Tweety(budgie) & Billy (quaker) it was meant for Billy but he's scared of anything that he hasn't been with for the last 13 1/2 years (but he eventually got used to it months later) so the Tweety used it, then as i got more budgies they all used it, then it was budgies and tiels, then Billy, Budgies and tiels, and let me tell ya - it has NOT looked this good since the day it was made LOL

Far away shot

a little more close up

a close up of the Poopy hut - i mean happy hut (but seriously all they've ever done is poop on it, Roxy and pugsley has played it in a few times though LOL)

My boyfriend made the entire thing including the happy hut (I have no talent) I did color the blocks though lol

the happy hut is nothing more then 2 pieces of a store bought bandanna (they were like 50 cents a piece or something like that at my local hobby store-craft store) and the base is a piece of plastic canvas (88 cents at the same hobby store) and a piece of a fleece blanket (i bought a full throw at big lots for 4.00 because i couldn't find any pre cut fleece at my craft store

The whole's aren't that big though

Total cost was like $20.00 if that (its been almost 2 years since it was made, but i'm thinking it was more around $16-17 bucks) that includes all hardware (nails, eye hooks, screw(s), wood, the whole 9 yards

· Registered
99 Posts
Made with Cherry Branches that came chopped up from a fresh tree. Total cost: 1.00 for the nails, 2.00 for the chain, 1.50 for the link to hold it on.

My cockatiel, Elizabeth, loves it, and has really come out of her shell because she has the ability to sit there and be "safe and with us"

· Registered
503 Posts
This is my DIY playgym. It's not separate from the cage but it does give Kessie and the lovies something to play on while out and about. I also have a branch with a toy or 2 attached to the top of my monitor so the birds can sit up there is they want to.

and closer

I just used branches from bird safe trees and zip ties from the $store. :) Then I attached assorted toys. There are a couple of small foot toys on top as well as that stainless steel dish is intended to be a bathtub of sorts...lol

· Registered
108 Posts

JUST ADDED (7/11/09) Finally played with Vet Wrap (Farm/Ranch supply store, 2-3$ a roll):

Basically, a couple trays from Hobby Lobby/Walmart.... a good bit of 1/2in PVC pipe (sanded & had a dremel run down the length to give it texture), sisal rope, balsa wood planks, and some stainless steel eye hooks. I guess I use some plastic chain too... but not too often.

I cut all my PVC into uniform lengths. I've got a box full of 6in, 8in, 10in long pieces... and a LOT of connectors. Whenever the mood strikes I just break down the old one and stick together a new one... since all the pieces are uniform lengths I can do pretty much any combination & turn out something cool. (sometimes I need a hammer to bang them apart-- NO Glue is needed when building these for tiels)
PVC is easy to work with... all you need is something to cut it with & some sandpaper... it is very inexpensive & extra strong stuff.... bird safe & fun.

last add to this post, I swear.... :rolleyes:

12inch wood embroidery hoops, 2ft of fleece, some hemp, and a chain piece to hang.... total cost: less than $3!!

· Banned
820 Posts
Do it your self Play Gym

I posted my play gym above.
But did not make it to clear that the pix is of her play gym made from local woods. And when I find plants or branches from trees I just tie them on to the gym.
I am into Keep it Natural. How I decide what is safe is, I watch the wild birds to see what they like or stay away from. Plus I am an arborist so know some of the dangers of the bad ones. Tweety keeps her chewing to these items most of the time. She likes Bottlebrush, Pururi, Banksia, Paperbark Gum and others I can not think off just now? She will chew at the base of the flowers and at the base of the leaf stem. Plants are Milk Weed, Dandilion, Silverbeet (she only nibbles this a little bit). She will go back and still chew on wood after it has been there over a week.
I am guessing there are natural products that they get from this chewing that I would like to think is good for them.

· Registered
104 Posts
Making a playgym sounds like a great idea, but I'm a clumsy one and I tend to not craft things very sturdily.
I bought this playgym for my birds, and I am not satisfied. The playgym is more sized for parakeets, and it is very flimsy. They love to look in the mirror and ring the bell, but it falls over every time they touch it. They cannot fit under the junglegym into the swing, and I don't think a medium-sized parakeet could, either. The tetherball and horse and seesaw fall over every time they try to play with it. Now my poor babies are scared of the playgym--everything falls! D :

· Registered
71 Posts
play gym ingredients

Hi all

So i wanted to make sassaby his own play gym. I went to spot light and bout all these sparkly things and colourful popsticks. Nothing with glitter on it.
Just made him a popstick house and board walk with a hot glue gun and then thought hmm wonder if this is going to be ok.
So it brought me to think...with tiels eat things that are not good for them?
Do they know the difference between edible and inedable?

· Registered
11,168 Posts
They'll eat/chew anything.

It's best to get bird-safe things when you're building a play gym. It should say wether or not it's bird safe, if it doesn't, you would need to ask.

21 - 40 of 206 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.