Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent this evening turning around £15 worth of bits into a nice ladder for my 'tiels to climb up from the floor into their cage! Ladder is 32" long, 15 rungs spaced 2" apart. I'd have made it longer, but I was using the left overs of the 22mm plastic piping from another project. If I have the ladder at less of an angle it'll reach just under the entry door!

22mm plastic plumbing pipe
9mm pine dowelling
Sisal twine.

A few pictures of the ladder being built!

Rear end of a 2.4m length of 9mm pine dowelling (untreated, but will be getting wrapped in sisal twine)

Two 32" lengths of 22mm plumbing, marked up for drilling holes for dowelling rungs:

Rungs cut:

Ladder assembled:

And sitting next to the 'tiels cage, for size:

I've still to finish the ladder of by using the sisal twine to wrap the rungs and secure them to the uprights. Then I'll wrap the uprights in more twine, and lash a couple of pear clips for securing the ladder to the cage! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

May I ask how you glued it all together? I love that idea and would love to make my own. Just curious how it all came together, don't want to put glue or something bad the lil bugger might try to nibble on.

Barry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

May I ask how you glued it all together? I love that idea and would love to make my own. Just curious how it all came together, don't want to put glue or something bad the lil bugger might try to nibble on.

Barry
No glue used. Just drilled the holes in the tubing so that the rungs are a tight fit. Once i wrap the ladder with the sisal twine this will help hold it all together!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. The ladder is a bit wibbly wobbly at the moment, however I think once I get it tied and wrapped with the sisal twine, it should become a bit more rigid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the ladder finished yesterday! :lol:

Alas, I was never in the boy scouts, so my attempts to wrap the ladder in twine resulted in me getting tangled up in granny knots!

So I carefully screwed the rungs in place using small wood screws, then wrapped the uprights in human vet wrap.

Tied a couple of wooden beads from an old cockatiel toy at the top and bottom, then secured quick released to the top of the ladder using leather cord.

Doesn't look too bad for a first attempt! The 'tiels haven’t tried it properly yet, although Spike did try climbing up the first two rungs on the rear of the ladder!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At last, Spike has been brave enough to use the ladder! Flynn is still unsure of it. I'm sure they'll be having fun on it soon enough!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts