Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I wasn`t sure where to post this, so please feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place.

I unexpectedly gained a teil afew weeks ago and i had a cage which i later found out was advertised as suitable for teils. But i would like a bigger cage, but finding a cage that fits my requirements is proving hard, so i was thinking about building my own one, I just woundered if anyone had anyideas on this? Do i need special wood? Is it areally bad idea????:confused:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
how were you thinking of making it? are you thinking of making the cage out of wood I don't know much about building bird cages but I do know you have to make sure the wood and wire are safe for birds, I personally wouldn't use wood for a cage I would think it would be very hard to clean.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Make sure whatever materials you're using are 100% birdie safe and that it has good air circulation. I highly dislike the ones that cover most sizes with wood where they can't climb on it or the ones made out of glass/plastic..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. Iwas thinking that if i built one it would fit the space i had well and give teock as much space as possible, but i am worried that he may eat the wood! I know some people have budgies and teils in aviaries outside, but i am just not sure what to do.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
If the cage he has now is a decent size and he's out everyday then don't worry so much about the space.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Oh I see..keep looking around. You can find some for a pretty good cost-might end up being the same as building one.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Wood is likely to be chewed, you can put the word out that you're looking for a used cage, you can often find some very good quality cages for cheap, simply because people no longer need them. :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
what i have been planning to do is...
get a few frames(front, sides, back, top with doors etc) welded up at a local welding place (auto repairs etc)...
attach the wire of choice to the outside of the frames with a soldering iron...
and attach clips on all edges so i can build and rebuild the cage any time i want to move it...
it will probly cost a bit to make, but then i have a custom cage that breaks down for transport/storage etc...
i will just have to paint the cage with fish or vegetable oil to keep the rust at bay....
i could also make a roof to put over it, to protect from the weather....
just an idea...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here is a cage I came across with perches and ropes it would make a good cage I think.. Also its made for under 50 dollers these days.. http://www.geocities.com/jmorneweck/camelot.html
this cage is great because you can attach it all with zip ties and then if need be take it apart and move or clean it what not setting it on just a peice of ply board covered with shelving paper would make it so you can lift it and clean under it when ever you need to.. There is so many possibilities.

edited about the Shelac!! Sorry!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I would worry with that that the coating and wire is not parrot safe. :( You've got to be really really careful with what materials you use when making things for birds.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It is a good idea to make your own cage, just make sure any materials that you use, cannot be destroyed by your bird(s) and are 100% safe for birds! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the info, I only have one teil, but i did have a budgie, He had to be re-homed as he kept trying to attack teock even when they were in different cages! :wacko: So he went to live with my brother. I was given teock unexpectedly and he had a really big cage in his old home. I had a cage which is ment to be suitable for a teil, but i wanted to give him the biggest i could. He is out most of the evenings. But i noticed he was loosing alot of feathers and i am not sure if it is stress from everything or if its molting or mites or what? So i have treated him for mites and today i brought a bigger cage. So hopfully he will be happy now?:love:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts