Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya! I’m a first time cockatiel owner, I’ll be getting pirate in a month or so, and I was wondering what’s the healthiest and best diet for him? What veggies should he eat and how often? What fruits? How often should I give him millet?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi there, in this thread you'll find some helpful info about diet.

In short, the best diet for your cockatiel is variety. A good quality seed mix with varying types of seed, some good quality pellets, vegetables such as broccoli, cooked green beans, peas and corn, carrots, silverbeet, celery, oregano, spinach, rosemary, a cuttlebone for calcium and treats such as sunflower seeds, grainy bread, rice, sprouts, and millet spray. Most cockatiels aren't willing to eat fruit so don't worry if your bird doesn't touch it.

You can give him vegetables daily, and millet spray usually a couple of times a week or less. Millet spray is good food bribery for taming your cockatiel too, so if you only give him millet spray when you are training him to get used to you, it works well. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, in this thread you'll find some helpful info about diet.

In short, the best diet for your cockatiel is variety. A good quality seed mix with varying types of seed, some good quality pellets, vegetables such as broccoli, cooked green beans, peas and corn, carrots, silverbeet, celery, oregano, spinach, rosemary, a cuttlebone for calcium and treats such as sunflower seeds, grainy bread, rice, sprouts, and millet spray. Most cockatiels aren't willing to eat fruit so don't worry if your bird doesn't touch it.

You can give him vegetables daily, and millet spray usually a couple of times a week or less. Millet spray is good food bribery for taming your cockatiel too, so if you only give him millet spray when you are training him to get used to you, it works well. Hope this helps. :)
Thank you! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Feeding at n8

Is it necessary to keep the food bowl inside my tiels cage at night?....cause i feed him with seeds and i find ants in his food bowl every other morning and i think the antz are annoying him.....so i need help.....is it necessary to keep the food bowl inside at n8?....thank u.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi Killswitch, yes you can take out the food at night and store it in an airtight container to stop bugs getting into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.