Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Has anyone ever noticed a change in the birds droppings? My bird has very loose and wet droppings for several days? Any ideas?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Abnormal droppings are often a sign of illness. You need a bird vet to make a diagnosis and prescribe treatment. Since they've been like that for several days I wouldn't wait any longer - please get him looked at.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Abnormal droppings are often a sign of illness. You need a bird vet to make a diagnosis and prescribe treatment. Since they've been like that for several days I wouldn't wait any longer - please get him looked at.
I have Baytril on hand- I’m away and was going to give home some of that 2 x a day for 5 days- his feet are warmer than normal

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have Baytril on hand- I’m away and was going to give home some of that 2 x a day for 5 days- his feet are warmer than normal
It seems the main risk would be the possibility that an infection could progress untreated for 5 days if it turns out that any infecting organism(s) are NOT susceptible to Baytril. That's a long time for a bird illness to go unchecked (life threatening) plus you add the time that's passed already since you first noticed the abnormal droppings, plus possibly additional time before you first noticed the issue. When you travel it can be difficult dealing with pet illness and with the virus circulating it's an even more troublesome mess. And the bird is bound to be stressed when traveling making him more susceptible to illness.
It really would be much better to get him checked so they can analyze the poop for any organisms and give the appropriate treatment. But if that just isn't going to happen this week then I understand trying the Baytril.
I don't know if the feet being warm bears any significance. My birds perch on me all the time and sometimes their feet are cold/other times warm.
Unfortunately, birds go downhill fast when ill and you don't have time to make mistakes. And prey animals like cockatiels are naturally very good at concealing illness - these things work against us.

Reactions: Melissasueart1968
1 - 5 of 5 Posts