Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the most problematic/irritating thing your birds have destroyed?

Sunny managed to permanently break two keys off my laptop a couple of nights ago, so now I'm going to have to do a full keyboard replacement. Which would be annoying as-is, but is considerably more of a pain because I'm in the middle of residency applications that are due in a couple weeks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
destructotiels

Oh wow...none of my birds have ever done anything like that, but they have knocked things off of shelves and broken them. Also broke a mirror or two (Bennie, that is, that did that!)

·
Registered
761 Posts
She's picked the wallpaper and some of the paint from the window - both now covered up with towels and cardboard. Good job I'm not house proud! She's also gnawed the corners of two of my books and even picked a library label off one that was borrowed (I re-attached it :p)

Yet...I've had a java perch sitting in the middle of my desk for two weeks, and it has gone entirely un-chewed. Unbelievable! ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh, and did you know that whatever is in their poop literally eats through the pages of old books? I found that out the hard way too...watch out!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's picked the wallpaper and some of the paint from the window - both now covered up with towels and cardboard. Good job I'm not house proud! She's also gnawed the corners of two of my books and even picked a library label off one that was borrowed (I re-attached it :p)

Yet...I've had a java perch sitting in the middle of my desk for two weeks, and it has gone entirely un-chewed. Unbelievable! ;)
Of course not! Don't you know the only things worth chewing on are the things Mom doesn't want you to chew on? :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
I suppose I haven't had Schubert long enough to have him destroy any of MY stuff, but he recently discovered how to use his shreddable toys and it dawned on me how much money I'm going to be spending on shreddable toys over the next 15-20 years. The parakeets I had were never THIS destructive, I had no idea such a little Toot could destroy things so...fast!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The good news is, you can make shreddable toys really cheap. They're just as happy to shred a coffee filter or paper bag as they are that $7 pet store toy. ;)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I suppose I haven't had Schubert long enough to have him destroy any of MY stuff, but he recently discovered how to use his shreddable toys and it dawned on me how much money I'm going to be spending on shreddable toys over the next 15-20 years. The parakeets I had were never THIS destructive, I had no idea such a little Toot could destroy things so...fast!
I've ordered parts so I can re-string Joey's shreddable toys at a better price than buying new over and over. Most of his have beads in between the bits meant to be destroyed, so when he was 'finished with the toys, what was left looked brand new. You can get yucca, popsicle sticks and other parts for really reasonable prices in bulk, and they can be restrung while you are watching tv, or just sitting around talking to people/on the phone, since it doesn't require a lot of focus to do it. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
My teils have been generally mild-mannered, but our past foster cockatiel Gracie destroyed a lot of phone charger cords - they were his ultimate prize to grab and snip the moment a back was turned. Our parakeets, however, have always been much worse. I have had many beloved houseplants turned to mulch when they were left alone with them for just a few minutes and decided to pretend to be beavers and gnaw away all the bark from the stems and have a party snipping off leaves.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Hmmm, let me think. Cinnamon destroyed a pair of earrings I got from Peru while I was in the Navy, I didn't even realize what she was doing (they were in my ears, she was on my shoulder) until they fell out of my ears and into my lap.

The whole flock chewed a hole in the wall in our first apartment near the slider. I had to patch it before we moved out. That was soooo joyous.

Snowball and Hershey destroyed a necklace a friend got me for my birthday. They broke the chain. Needless to say, I stopped wearing jewelry around them after that lol.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
OOOOH! OOOH! Here's an expensive one! I had one of my former breeders chew through the cord to a $200 wacom tablet about 15 years ago. I still miss that thing!

Then there's the book with a rare cover that my entire flock destroyed :p I was at the computer for a while and the birds were playing. I turn around and ...well, lets just say I have to get a new book, LOL

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Sunny chewed off the yellow and green buttons on our TV remote control- I'm not really sure what they were for anyway. He also managed to chew a nice hole in our chair- under my fiancé's watch, grrrrrrr- but luckily we were getting ready to buy new furniture anyway. And he pretty much completely destroyed a book my fiancé got at an antique store but I hold the fiancé responsible for not paying attention. As you can see, Sunny can never be wrong. :)

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Excellent.

A few keys of mine are missing as well, but back when I was in high school, I would say it was Beaker that ate my world history textbook. Hey, I hate world history too, but if that was destroyed we had to pay for it. Luckily he only ate 2 (whole) pages so I just handed it in at the end of the year and hoped they wouldn't notice. They never did :thumbu:

·
Registered
228 Posts
My guy chewed on my necklace and broke the chain. He bites on my necklaces so I can't wear them around him.
He also roams my work desk (I work at home) and he chews on my notes all the time or he goes for the computer cord and I have move him away.
I have a beautiful wooden stand I bought for him and he prefers landing on my head and sitting there so he can sing to me, so why I spent the money on the dang thing I do not know...he never sites on it.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent.

A few keys of mine are missing as well, but back when I was in high school, I would say it was Beaker that ate my world history textbook. Hey, I hate world history too, but if that was destroyed we had to pay for it. Luckily he only ate 2 (whole) pages so I just handed it in at the end of the year and hoped they wouldn't notice. They never did :thumbu:

This is what Roo has to say to Beaker about that ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oh yes! Roo is doing the masterpiece theater act with that book.
Frankie also hangs up on people when he gets a hold of my phone. Twice he hung up on my mom!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL, aw, Frankie!

Both of my girls love my ipad, and have figured out how to make the things move with their tongues. Fortunately they can't really destroy it...

·
Registered
183 Posts
My Danno also likes phones and tablets... She likes to destroy the covering parts, or the ps3 controller, or my notes from the university... Silly things, but at least she hasn't destroyed anything serious jaja

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think cockatiels are part monkey! They see us type and talk on our phones and they want in on the action!
Love the photos!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts