Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Demon's flight feathers are in. She's still not tame but I don't plan to clip her. I want to see if being able to fly improves her confidence and helps with her anxiety...

Except... I don't think she knows how to fly... she gets about 2 feet in the air, more or less hovers in place, but doesn't really go anywhere when she tries. She tried to fly onto my boyfriend earlier (because he had Birdy) but only got about to his elbow before giving up and landing back on the floor. Is she gonna get better at this flying thing?

·
Registered
350 Posts
So Demon's flight feathers are in. She's still not tame but I don't plan to clip her. I want to see if being able to fly improves her confidence and helps with her anxiety...

Except... I don't think she knows how to fly... she gets about 2 feet in the air, more or less hovers in place, but doesn't really go anywhere when she tries. She tried to fly onto my boyfriend earlier (because he had Birdy) but only got about to his elbow before giving up and landing back on the floor. Is she gonna get better at this flying thing?
Honestly, if she isn't tame yet I would wait on letting her fly free around your house. Get her to trust and accept you guys first, then work on the flight.

It does take some learning to fly. There is some misconception that it is just instinct, and they can do it all on their own. This is also a problem I've had with teaching my dogs to swim (my dad insists it's stupid because "they instinctually know how"). This isn't true. They can learn on their own, and instinctively know a little, but it isn't quite the same. They need encouragement, safe places to practice, and maybe a little bit of help :)

I would suggest the following (though I'm no expert as I'm in the process of trying to teach Kirby to fly :p)

*Have Birdy demonstrate
*Teach your bird "recall" (a trick where they fly to you on command, here's a video tutorial of how to teach it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg9FWDHJFYM)
*Teach your bird to fly to a specific spot on command (I personally call it target, even though I know that's actually something else). You can do this by putting the treat on a perch and pretty much having your bird step down onto the perch, and then increasing the distance until the bird flies to the 'target'.

Just remember that wherever you choose to do this flight training, make sure that it's in an area where there's some nice soft landings for her so that she won't crash and get hurt

Hope this helps, good luck!

P.S. There's some good tutorial videos for flight training specifically on YouTube :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the trouble not clipping her will cause with an untamed bird. Typically I do clip. But we've made more taming progress since her flight feathers started coming in and I haven't seen her self-mutilate as much either. She has severe anxiety and I think the confidence boost and improved mental being outweighs the trouble. I am thinking of giving her a partial clip (only two to three feathers each side) just to keep her from gaining speed so she doesn't hurt herself if spooked.

I'm glad she'll improve with her flying because right now she's very clumsy and it's almost painful to watch a bird have so much trouble with flight. xD

We are working on hand taming her right now. Hoping we can make some serious improvement before she gets hang of her wings. She's more apt to stepping up on our fingers now than ever before and I partially think its because if she over-stresses she can now just safely leap away.

Thank you for the resources. I'm sure they will be very helpful. Birdy won't be much help though. She's not flighted and even if she was I still don't think she'd have much interest in flying. She never tries. The most she does is a little flap when she decides she needs to leap off of a piece of furniture to get to the floor, and she barely does anything then. xD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts