Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm worried about Kirby. We adopted him two months ago from the rescue that I volunteer at. He's been very, very inactive, and I'd originally thought that it was because he was simply readjusting to his new home. It's been two months now, and he seems to have adjusted completely to his new home, but he's almost as inactive as he was two months ago! The only difference is that he talks to us now when he wants attention, which is every morning if we haven't greeted him yet and every now and then in the evenings. But he doesn't play with his toys, he doesn't really explore, he doesn't really do much besides sit and stare at the wall or preen.

What can I do to increase his activity? I've been having him do flying exercises so that he loses some of the weight he'd gained at the rescue, but I'd also like to try to increase his energy level overall if possible.

So far I've considered the following options: 1. Getting him a new playgym that has toys on it, and 2. Putting a bunch of toys in his cage so that he has a variety of toys to play with (though this will require getting a new cage)

Will either of those help his activity level? I noticed that getting him his first gym (really just several perches) had increased his energy level a little, but I don't know if a more elaborate one will or not.

What suggestions do you guys have to help his energy level? What suggestions are there to encourage him to play with his toys? I've tried 'playing' with them in front of him (using my nose and my fingers), but he doesn't really care.

P.S. I've included an attachment of his current gym, and no I cannot hang toys from it because there aren't any places to put his toys where he can reach them and it won't interrupt his path to the bottom to get food and water

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Toys in his cage would help with boredom when he is in there. He might be staring at the wall and preening only, because he doesn't have enough mental stimulation. If he goes on top of his cage while out, you can put toys on top of his cage. Chewable, shreddable and foraging toys are all good. He will get curious about them in time. Keep encouraging him, by playing with them as you've mentioned, and talking about how fun they are, in a calm but excited voice.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I will definetly try that.

I know for a fact that his cage is too small, and I really want to upgrade him to a bigger one, but I still live with my parents and am on a space budget. I'm going to have to convince them to allow us to upgrade his cage, but I think I'll manage it. I'm sure that the women who runs Fallen Feathers (the rescue) will agree that a bigger cage is better for him, so she can probably help me convince my parents. Right now he has two perches that span the entire length of the cage, a paper tag that I hung from the top of his cage (he likes to shred it once in a blue moon), two mirrors (he used to like to sing to his reflection, but has only done so once since moving here), and a hanging toy made of wood pieces with a little bell that he picked out from Petsmart and hasn't played with since <_<.

Do you think getting a proper playgym will make a difference?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
It may just be he needs more toys in his cage, and maybe a couple he can play with when out. Joey has between 5 and 8 toys in his cage at all times, which I rotate from time to time to keep them interesting for him. Over time you can build up a toy stash for him, and rotate them, or some of them, every couple or few weeks without having to buy new all the time.

A proper play gym may or may not be the answer. Joey spends the bulk of his day on top of his cage, with a small cage top gym and some shreddable and other toys. Since he plays there mostly, those toys get rotated more often. It is more about finding what your fid is happy with than spending money. Some birds are very happy shredding paper towels, which is messy but quite inexpensive.

If you can get him a bigger cage, it would be good. I understand space budgets though. Does he spend a lot of his time out of the cage?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TamaMoo;1285969A said:
proper play gym may or may not be the answer.
I can always borrow a gym from Fallen Feathers, first, to see if he likes them and then buy my own. The one at FF is a budgie gym, though, but maybe I can at least get his reaction to a gym with toys...

If you can get him a bigger cage, it would be good. I understand space budgets though. Does he spend a lot of his time out of the cage?
I probably should be able to get him a bigger cage; my dad's all for it, and my mom was a bit hesitant, but not necessarily against it. Once Jody (the women running Fallen Feathers) also tells them that a bigger cage is definetly better I'm almost certain that we'll be able to upgrade

Normally Kirby spends most of the day out of his cage. I have a playtable for him in my room, with a wooden ladder so that he can go up or down to/from the floor whenever he pleases. Usually his playgym goes here. He sits on his playgym all day because I do online school, so I'm in my room all day working on schoolwork, so he sits in there with my, stares at my closet door, preens, and sleeps. Occasionally he'll climb down to eat or drink.

Lately, though, I've been sick, so he's been in his cage most of the time because his dust makes me sicker, and I'm usually the one who plays with him and takes him out of his cage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts