Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Ziggy's crazy wing feathers are a mess the last thing I want to do is clip them so I thought I'd let them both grow out their wings. That means they won't be able to go anywhere but I can't take just one so they'll both stay in and grow them out. Hopefully all goes smooth. I am thinking of keeping them flighted once I see how it is. All 8 of my budgies are flighted and do rounds around the house all day so it'll be intresting to have two tiels fly around too. Ziggy is a REALLY strong flier-I can tell that now so he won't have a problem but Baby..well I doubt it. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I bet they'll love being able to fly around the house. :D It will be safer with blood feathers too because they'll have several flights to shield the new blood feathers when they do come through.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure hope so- I tried once with Baby and we even practiced flappies but she still wanted to walk around instead of fly..Maybe if she sees Ziggy...It'll be hard not taking them places. They really love to go to my parents but...

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..Not the same..my parents have a crazy cat and always keep their patio open..so I'd have to keep them in the travel cage the whole time instead of them walking around on the table to eat our food or hang out on my shoulder.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Well i'm sure they won't mind as much as you, keep that in mind. They will probably hardly even register that they're missing out. ;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That is great for Ziggy, he'll love being able to fly I'm sure. :)Willow isn't clipped either...

kyliesmom07 - it isn't a must at all. It's just that sometimes cockatiels tend to be on the clumsy side, and its safer to clip them to prevent them from flying into things like windows. But if your tiel is a good flyer then theres probably no need. You can also clip them for taming;)

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Keep up with the flappies practice. Spike is doing a bit of flying now and he is doing great. It's me who is chasing him around trying to get him down :eek: He has not flown in to anything though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My rule is that when I get a bird, its wings will be clipped until we get to know each other. Reno and Cousteau were flighted, but when they came to live with me, I had the gal clip their wings. Reno's wings will remain clipped. He's a pretty good flier even clipped. Birdie is now allowed to have her wings... now that she's nice. The other two love being held though, so I'm not worried about them.

Do you put anything on your birds when you take them out? Like a leash or bracelet or something? None of my birds are banded, but when Boomer goes out I put a thin leather strap around his leg. He won't fly with it on. It makes him angry and he picks at it the entire time. (But he doesn't go out of the house too often)

And could I steal your thread a second? When you clip their wings, how long does it take for the stress to ware off? Mine are going to a sitter for the Christmas holidays, and I'd like to know how many days before I bring them over to clip.....? Thanks

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it a must or is it ok that their wings arn't clipped?? I tend to like the way they look when they are all grown out.
NOOO -not at all. I kept Baby and Ziggy clipped because they always go out with me but I also LOVE the way their wings look when they're grown out. I'm sure they'll like it. I look forward to having them fly to me and taking some great flight pics!!!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you put anything on your birds when you take them out? Like a leash or bracelet or something?
No, I do not have anything on them but I by no means recommend it unless you KNOW your tiel VERY well. I still don't know Ziggy and we are not bonded like me and Baby are and I have to hold him alot of the time. I don't trust or know his reactions alot of the time so I limit the time he has outside. Baby I trust her 100%. I know her like the back of my hand. Their instinct is to fly AWAY from the flock (which is you) so it's important that you know and watch every move they make and know how they react to different things. Noises, cars, anything can frighten them and they will try to fly away unless otherwise taught. Baby learned to hide in my hair if something scares her-people, anything-she runs in my hair and doesn't try to fly off by any means. Ziggy's a different story like I said but I've only had him two months so I don't expect much from him yet.

And could I steal your thread a second? When you clip their wings, how long does it take for the stress to ware off? Mine are going to a sitter for the Christmas holidays, and I'd like to know how many days before I bring them over to clip.....?
Well, mine don't get stressed because they've always been clipped and don't really know any better. I stopped clipping my budgies a while ago and they are all now flighted- I never plan to clip them again. They have too much fun flying all over the place. I'm not sure how long before but if they are at a sitter is she going to be taking them out or something-is that why you need to clip?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well, because I see a lot of "lost" bird adds down here in California, and I'm just terrified of them getting lose. Just a precaution, and the birds don't know them (though Boomer did go over and meet them when I had the "interview". Reno will stay clipped no matter what- because he flies AWAY from you... @[email protected] Everybody else is just starting to grow out. They're at the point of either clip, or let them be. Mostly it's just me being scared. :p Better safe than sorry, huh?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Hey Aly, you could pick up a couple of aviator harnesses for their xmas pressies. They're meant to be the best for flighted birds and they come in tiel size. Then they could still go everywhere with you. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You've got to introduce them really slowly. Feather Tethers don't have the best reputation for being comfortable though, the buckles tend to rub and irritate the feathers. Aviator harnesses have no buckles so there's nothing to rub.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Aly, you could pick up a couple of aviator harnesses for their xmas pressies. They're meant to be the best for flighted birds and they come in tiel size. Then they could still go everywhere with you. ;)

Was thinking about it Bea.:)I just have to find the perfect ones. If they're flighted them I think I'd have to be sure they're secure enough before going out. They scare me a bit. I will though- probably not in time for Xmas but soon enough. Thanks.

I really was to stress again to everyone so noane gets the wrong impression, DON'T think it's ok to take them out without a harness. A proper one. I have been doing this for a long time and still have to pay attention 100% of the time. I don't trust Ziggy so he only goes straight to the car and then straight into my parents house every two weeks-they are also FULLY clipped and I mean ALL primaries and secondaries. I know their flight abilities. Most tiels WILL fly easily with just one feather on each side so don't ever think that they won't just because they don't fly off in the house. Also, I had Baby since she was little and have been training her since. Ziggy has always made me worry which is why I stopped taking him out. He's a really strong flier and can glide atleast 10 feet before landing. Know your birds well before you take them out, know how react to things, even with a harness and fully clipped.

Better safe than sorry, huh?
Always. Do what you think is best for your flock. I think it's time all mine become flighted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts