Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cockatiel pair are on their second clutch attempt. The first clutch were all dud.

This time the first egg hatched about 2-3 days ago. Second now in the nest box.

But this afternoon my mum found the first chick outside the nest box on the floor of the cage dead.

Is it possible for the chick to have somehow climbed out of the nest box and fallen? or is this something one of the parents might have done if it died in the nest box?

A bit heartbroken at the moment, but just want to try do best to support the cockatiels at the moment, any advice would help. I have read a few threads already and will carry on reading. thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
A baby that young isn't able to climb out of the nest box. But what can happen with tiny babies is that if the parent leaves the nest in a hurry, it can accidentally drag the baby along with it if the chick gets tangled in the parent's claws. The parent isn't really holding on to the baby, so the baby falls to the floor.

As a general rule, cockatiels don't toss dead babies out of the nest although there may be exceptions. I have a male who will heave dented eggs out of the nest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A baby that young isn't able to climb out of the nest box. But what can happen with tiny babies is that if the parent leaves the nest in a hurry, it can accidentally drag the baby along with it if the chick gets tangled in the parent's claws. The parent isn't really holding on to the baby, so the baby falls to the floor.

As a general rule, cockatiels don't toss dead babies out of the nest although there may be exceptions. I have a male who will heave dented eggs out of the nest.
Thanks for the reply.

We have two babies going strong now, one is around 9 days with its eyes opening more and the other is about 3 days

1 - 3 of 3 Posts