Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My male cockateil gets mad at the female if she leaves the babies in the nest box, it is like they get in a little squabble and i have to reassure him it is ok, then he is like ok! and he goes in the nest box to feed the babies. Is this normal behaviour with them, being this is my first live babies i wasnt sure?
And now he wont let her in there. and when i take him out they just scream for each other, the babies are 4 and 3 days old. I am so worried about what to do.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Keep a close eye on him. He sounds like he's getting disruptive. If he doesn't allow the hen in or out of the box he could hinder their care if he's not picking up all the slack. Consider moving him into another cage! Mom can raise the babies on her own. I'm sure you will want to keep him near her to avoid the screaming. Only you can be the judge. Watch him...and moniter the chicks to see if they are doing OK. If not he's got to go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sit in here almost 24 hrs a day, i only leave to sleep, cook, and clean.. The daddie just fed the babies, i only leave for short times after the daddie or momma has fed them and then i come back within a hour to make sure they are getting fed again soon. (I may seem overprotective, but we have lost many hatches and this is our first ones that are okay).. Another crazy question, i started giving them a little bit of millet spray, and was after that when he started fighting and being a butthead. could that be what it is? i have heard that millet is like catnip for birds?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
that isn't normal none of my birds do that and i have 4 pair of tiels set up 2 are on (or finishing) their 2nd clutch

mine get Millet several times a week, still doesn't cause fighting/ bickering etc.

my budgies don't even do what your's are doing and i've had about 5 pairs of them set up for breeding all are done with their 2nd clutch or finishing up , a few are starting their 1st clutch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. The Daddie has let the momma go back, and now she is feeding them..
I love to hear the little chirps as they are getting fed.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
i must agree that is not normal i would have another cage setup just in case
just like my uncle we had to pull the chicks because we did not no who was poking at there crop we suspect we no who but can,t be sure

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
As long as you are able to check on the babies and see that they are OK and not being plucked. I had one hen who always started plucking as soon as the pinfeathers started coming in. I always had to take the babies away and hand feed them at that point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts