Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The joys of watching baby birds growing up includes seeing them fly for the first time. Abby is the only one not flying, but BOY can she climb! The down side to breeding is that there's often small things that crop up. Like Spider's dad plucking the little guy.

Spider is about five and a half weeks old and his dad is feeding him almost exclusively. The problem is that Sideswipe is plucking Spider horribly. Spider goes in for a cuddle and Sides walks away with a mouthful of pin feathers. It's sad seeing Spider missing most of his back, neck and some of his chest feathers. What on earth do I do? Or do I have to wait until Spider's finally eating on his own before I separate them?

As for the Abby and Bagwis - they're doing good :) Abby still has slow crop issues, but she's doing much better than she was! Bagwis is learning to fly.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Dad is doing it either because he wants to start another clutch or there is a deficiency. I believe most of the time it's either sodium or iron. But I can't remember for the life of me what was recommended to fix it. Honestly, you'll have to wait until he's weaned to separate since he won't accept hand feeding. But the feathers grow back, it's honestly not as bad as everyone thinks, I promise. Fuzzy plucked his baby and she got all her feathers back in no time.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dad is doing it either because he wants to start another clutch or there is a deficiency. I believe most of the time it's either sodium or iron. But I can't remember for the life of me what was recommended to fix it. Honestly, you'll have to wait until he's weaned to separate since he won't accept hand feeding. But the feathers grow back, it's honestly not as bad as everyone thinks, I promise. Fuzzy plucked his baby and she got all her feathers back in no time.
Thanks Roxy Culver!! It's painful to watch the poor kid trying to get a feeding off mom and dad and dad plucking him. But if I have to wait another few weeks, I will :) He's almost ready to wean. Just another 2-2 1/2 weeks :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts