Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I gave Cyndi to a lady who had a white face cinnamon boy whose mate was stolen. A few weeks later the lady asked me if I would not only take Cyndi back but take the boy too who I named Alfie. I have them in a separate free standing cage and gave them a nesting box, which is why the lady wanted to rehome them because they were showing all the signs of wanting to breed.

Fast forward. Cyndi laid 5 eggs (or so I thought) because Alfie immediately starting sitting on them after the 4th egg. For the past 21 days they have both been sitting constantly only leaving the nest for short periods but never together, which means I have not had a chance to see into the nest. That confused me because other birds I have had, have had dad on in the day and mum on in the night. Monday I checked because I estimated that to be hatching day and sure enough, I managed a peek at some downy fluff under Alfie's wing. Today for the first time, both of them came off the nest for food. A quick check and they have hatched 4 chicks with another 4 eggs in the nest.

So my question is, if all 8 hatch, will they be able to feed such a large clutch? Alfie is a very diligent father, very protective and I have already heard him feeding them. But I am concerned that it will be too much for them if the others hatch too.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
There won't be a problem while the babies are small. If the parents have a hard time keeping up when the babies get older, you can use handfeeding to assist the parents. My birds have no trouble taking care of a clutch of 6, but I don't have any experience with bigger clutches.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
What Tielfan said - eight shouldn't be a problem for your fids to care for :) . Tiels are pretty industrious and will usually take care of a large clutch as long as there's enough food. Somewhere I read that 12 is the upper limit of what they can care for, but don't quote me on that. Twelve seems a bit much.

Keep us updated on the babies :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only 5 ended up hatching and Cyndi & Alfie are being really good about their care. They are between 2 weeks and 10 days old and even the latest hatched is developing as it should. I disposed of the other 3 eggs and they were just eggs, no chicks.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
The babies are soooo cute and mom and dad are gorgeous :D Thanks for the update :D

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Beautiful birds!! Any lutinos are automatically female.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful birds!! Any lutinos are automatically female.

I didn't think she was Lutino, I thought she was Cinnamon...actually I was told she is a Cinnamon and he is Whiteface Cinnamon cross.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think roxy meant that if any of the chicks are lutino, they are female :)

Gorgeous birds! I'm a total sucker for cinnamons :love:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think roxy meant that if any of the chicks are lutino, they are female :)

Gorgeous birds! I'm a total sucker for cinnamons :love:
Ok, would they be Lutino? I am not sure how the colours work. But I took pics of them today so I will upload them in another post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You know Flashfire , I am not a cockatiel expert -all I can say is that your cockatiel family - Cindy, Alfie and the chicks are gorgeous ! I hope the chicks get huge, beautiful crests just like their parents . Breathtaking! Congrats ! X x Teresa

1 - 14 of 14 Posts