Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANSWER YES or NO
1 POINT FOR EACH NO

1. Do you take your cockatiel out of the cage daily for special time with you?

2. Do you talk to your cockatiel whenever you are near the cage?

3. When you talk to your bird do you address it by his/her name?

4. Are you really making an attempt to teach your cockatiel to sing or talk?

5. When your cockatiel greets you with chirps, songs or talk do you respond?

6. Are your bird's feet nice and warm, a sign of a healthy, happy bird?

7. Does your cockatiel proudly display its wings for you?

8. Is your bird active and not spending the day sitting silently in a corner?

9. Does your bird preen and do the happy birdie jig by shaking its tail?

10. Does your bird do the happy bird waltz, taking a few steps to the left, then to the right?

11. Does your cockatiel show contentment by comically bobbing its head up and down?

12. Does your bird rarely constrict its body, looking thin, from fright?

13. Is your bird's crest usually at rest, a sign of security and lack of fear?

14. Are you making sure your bird gets a full 10-12 hours of sleep each night?

15. Does your bird show contentment by making a grinding sound with its beak before sleeping?

16. Does your bird sleep peacefully, on one foot with its head tucked under a wing?

17. Are you smart enough NOT to sleep or take naps with your bird?

18. Do you know what conditions require emergency medical treatment from a veterinarian?

19. Do you have the name and phone number of an avian veterinarian ?

20. Do you know the symptoms of illness and poisoning from lead, zinc or toxic fumes?

21. Do you own at least 3 newly published books on cockatiels or will you now buy some?

22. Is your cockatiel's cage clean, free of droppings all over the perches, and food dishes?

23. Is the water dish clean, with fresh clear water? Go ahead, check it now.

24. Is your bird's cage large enough so it can spread its wings?

25. Do you disinfect your bird's cage as recommended on a regular basis?

26. Do you check your cockatiel's food dish every morning and evening?

27. Are you going to put your bird on a balanced diet as recommended by research?

28. Are you smart enough NOT to feed your bird from your mouth or will you stop doing it?

29. Have you baked any bird bread lately?

30. Do you check the cage and toys often, for signs of wear and dangers?

31. If your bird is a biter, are you going to try methods to change behaviors?

32. Do you honestly cherish and love your cockatiel like a family member?

Scores: Count up the number of times you answered no to find out how much you love your cockatiel.

1-3: You really love and cherish your bird. What a lucky cockatiel!!
4-6 You really love your bird and are willing to learn more. What a lucky cockatiel!!
7-10 Your like your cockatiel, but need to provide more care.
11-13 Your cockatiel is just a critter to you. You are not willing to improve its life.
14 or More: Your bird is being neglected. Shame on you!!

If you are feeling a bit guilty, for every no answer that you promise your bird to change to a yes, you may subtract one point. If you are willing make a commitment to improve your bird's life, then you truly love and cherish your bird. Now go over to your cockatiel and say "I love you."

Thanks to Ellen from cockatielcottage.net

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I got 1, i don't own 3 tiel books - only one. :p I find places like this more useful than most books anyway.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I got a 2, I don't own any cockatiel books i just borrow them from the library and I haven't baked any birdie bread lately although I do have some frozen...hehe

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea-the books were a no for me too. Why pay for a book when you can come here.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Oh dear, I got 3..........I don't know the symptoms of illness and poisoning from lead, zinc or toxic fumes? Don't own 3 books and I haven't baked any bread.

Going to look up the symptoms though, unless it's the sitting in the bottom of the cage and fluffed up feathers, drowsy, symptoms, in which case.....I know them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I feel good, having answered yes to most of those, and knowing Edy was a happy tiel... and a lot of those also apply to my budgies, but not all of them; I don't think I've ever heard them grind their tiny beaks, and they obviously don't have crests... :p

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
1-3: You really love and cherish your bird. What a lucky cockatiel!!

the 3 books question - i put no - I use the internet, I think its more up to speed

the Toix question - I don't know the signs - BUT will before the end of the day

I answered yes to #4 but only because I'm not tryin on purpose to teach my girls to whistle but I do whistle and talk to them and they do thier own rendtion of a whistle when I whistle @ them :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I got 1. I havn't baked Birdie Bread yet - BUT I WILL VERY SOON!! So the only one that is a real no is owning 3 books. I own 1 book, but like atvchick95, I find the internet great ;)

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I got a 3 # 6 Spike sometimes gets cold feet, but they warm up quickly when he sits on my shoulder. #21 I only have one book, but read two more at the libary. #29 I have never made birdie bread but I should one day.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got 3 points 10,20, and 21 for me.

10: I've never seen pumpkin do the birdie waltz, but I do know she is happy.

20: I don't know the symptoms, but I am going to look them up. I think I would know that she would be sick.

21: I own 1 fairly old one and Cockatiels for Dummies

1 - 12 of 12 Posts