Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there,

i was giving sadie a mist, and the little dear decided to 'fly' down (her wing is clipped).

after her misting, she was on the floor, near the door chirping to the wild birds and i picked her up and realised she was bleeding
(i suspect she may have hit my engagement ring when she flapped off my finger during her misting) i immediately got some q-tips and dabbed her with cornflour. she had a bit of flinching but she seems like her usual self. the bleeding has since stopped, and i of course called the vet. they said to bring her in tomorrow morning if her behaviour changes.

i noticed her poop was a little more runny and tan (probably due to the fact she's in love with her pellets at the moment) she's acting like her normal self, doesn't appear to be in any pain, and has no loss of appetite.

i just hope she doesn't pick at her sore. i feel terrible :(

what should i signs should i look out for if her condition worsens/the bleeding starts again?

i've included a picture of her injury.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It sounds like you're doing everything you should be for now. You should watch for general signs of distress, like extreme lethargy, inability to perch, being fluffed up, uninterested in food, water, etc. Depending on how much blood she lost, you can dilute a little bit of pedialyte, gatorade, or honey in her water dish to offer her some electrolytes. However, if you do this, make sure to change the water every hour or two to prevent the build-up of bacteria. Most likely it's a minor injury, and she'll be perfectly fine. She's definitely a super cutie. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks enigma! i will definitely keep an eye on her and follow your instructions if need be.

i do hope she'll be okay, but of course it's normal to worry. she's my little precious and i would be devastated if anything were to happen to her.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a close look. The wound is cleaner now (she preened) and thankfully didn't start bleeding again so I'll check after she's finished eating.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had a look and cannot see clearly. it appears to have healed up a bit!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If the bleeding is stopped you cab at least not worry about that. Are you going to the vet? Looks bad but when Mica for hurt the last time it bled a lot and looked pretty bad but she healed right up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the bleeding is stopped you cab at least not worry about that. Are you going to the vet? Looks bad but when Mica for hurt the last time it bled a lot and looked pretty bad but she healed right up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
yeah the bleeding has definitely stopped and if it weren't for the visual of seeing her cut, i would never know she had one. she's acting like her usual crazy self! eating and drinking as much as she usually does and is content. :)

she was fine this morning when i got up and i cancelled the vet appointment (avian vet wasn't in, anyways, so it would have been a 'regular' vet)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
her battle wound is looking great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts