Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Rocko keeps crying for scratches should I be giving him what he wants or should I ignore it.Hes always crying non stop when he wants a scratch and then while I am scratching him he makes the same noise lol.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I would suggest (from experience) giving him scratches when he isn't crying for them and not giving them when he is. Train him to know that demanding them loudly isn't the way to get them.

Joey would demand them to the point of screaming like a banshee if he wasn't getting them. To keep him from screeching loud enough to bother the neighbors and get him kicked out of here, I'd rush to him and give them to him. It only took a few weeks to be completely out of control and life was getting miserable with the frustration of it all.We're now working on ignoring the screeching and lavishing love on him when he is being good. We're making progress, and witnessing less and less of the banshee and more and more of our loving boy. We're not quite back to normal, but getting there.

That story above is why I'd suggest not giving in to demands, but show him he can get lots of scratches and love just because you want to.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He doesn't do it loudly but sometimes he hops on my shoulder and does it into my ear also when I want to pet him he makes the same noise while I'm scratching him.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I suppose that isn't so bad then. Joey started off quietly asking, but I was the one who let it get out of control. We're still not completely back to normal, but it is getting a lot better. He still gets just as many, if not more, scritches than he did before, but he is learning he gets them when he doesn't demand them. I am trying to teach him that asking is okay, but to not go into a 'toddler not getting a new toy' meltdown.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts