Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all! This morning, I checked my chicks crops right after I took the cover off the cage (this cover doesn't let any light in). Only the youngest out of the 5 had an empty crop. The others all had some black stuff at the bottom of their crop. My first thought was yeast, but from hat I'm looking at, yeast normally shows through as white. Is this correct? And this was most definitely black. My next thought was an overstretched crop. However, most of the pictures I can find of overstretched crops are very severe. Can anyone provide me with pictures of a mildly overstretched crop? Another possible problem is that they are getting chilled. I haven't been home much over the past few days, but from what I've seen, the parents seem to have lost interest in warming the chicks. They just seem to feed them. Now, there are 5 of them always huddled together and they never seem cold when I pick them up, but I thought I'd still bring it up in case it was of any help. Thank you!

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If these help, here are some pictures of the chicks along with close-ups of their crops. I currently have them in a brooder, not in their nest, because I want their crops to empty. If their crops don't empty within 12 hours, I'll know that something is definitely wrong. I think I might be seeing signs of sour crop in the older two chicks. Please tell me what you think.

Chick #1- 13 days

Chick #2- 13 days

Chick #3- 10 days

Chick #4- 8 days

Chick #5- 5 days

Sorry for the terrible image quality. I took these with my iPod. If you need better quality ones, I can probably get them. Thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I haven't got a lot of experience with crop problems at all, except for what I have read- most of which is on Just Cockatiels...She explains it really well about emptying the crop and using Alka Seltzer for it. You might not want to wait another 12 hours to try to empty the crops, especially the ones that are looking yeasty. It tells you all about it on the second link I put in my last message. If you don't act pretty quickly they can get septic. Hopefully someone will answer your post who is experienced with this. Saying a little prayer for the babies...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts