Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hello this is my hand feed cockatiel. Yesterday i noticed it's crop is not flat completely. And has a black dot on it's crop. Is it crop burn symptoms. Except this it is eating fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your pic isn’t loading for me for some reason.

I’ve hand raised my egg/chic after incubating it and it’s now a month old. Lots of stress but here’s some tips maybe you can use. I have a digital thermometer and make sure I fill a coffee cup with water between 104 and 109F. When I’ve been worried about slow crop, I’ve made a 50/50 solution on water and apple cider vinegar and gave a few drops between feedings once or twice. Keep nesting box warm. I have a heating pad under it and closely monitor the temp. For the first week, I kept her in the high 90’s. Second week, low 90’s. Third week, 80-85, now she is cleared for room temperature. Temps are important (I believe) especially for crop health.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your pic isn’t loading for me for some reason.

I’ve hand raised my egg/chic after incubating it and it’s now a month old. Lots of stress but here’s some tips maybe you can use. I have a digital thermometer and make sure I fill a coffee cup with water between 104 and 109F. When I’ve been worried about slow crop, I’ve made a 50/50 solution on water and apple cider vinegar and gave a few drops between feedings once or twice. Keep nesting box warm. I have a heating pad under it and closely monitor the temp. For the first week, I kept her in the high 90’s. Second week, low 90’s. Third week, 80-85, now she is cleared for room temperature. Temps are important (I believe) especially for crop health.

Good luck.
Thank you he is fine now only digestion is slow. I will try your process.
How to add picture here. I used tinypic but it didn't work.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Your babies are so cute (both of you!), best of luck with raising them and I hope the baby's crop issues come right. Sounds like you are doing a great job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your babies are so cute (both of you!), best of luck with raising them and I hope the baby's crop issues come right. Sounds like you are doing a great job.
Ya it is fine now. Only its digestion is slow but that apple viniger is really work for him/her.
I am using petslife life hand feeding formula. Is it good?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again slow crop 😩😩😩. He is really weak don't know what to do.no vet is here for birds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can i give Pedialyte in little amount? I have read many sites that it works in this case

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Never heard of that handfeeding formula. Yes you can give Pedialyte it should help the chick to perk up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought it from amazon. This is local i think. But what to do with slow crop. He is realy hungry.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
What temperature are you keeping him at? Temperature has a lot to do with crop issues and general health in chicks.

You should check out this article which contains a lot of info on various crop issues in chicks, some are related to yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He is doing potty fine. Is it swelling? Because 2day ago i clean his crop and a canary seed came out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What temperature are you keeping him at? Temperature has a lot to do with crop issues and general health in chicks.

You should check out this article which contains a lot of info on various crop issues in chicks, some are related to yours.
I keep him near yellow bulb 200w. At sufficient distance.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Do you have a thermostat to monitor the actual temperature of the brooder?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts