Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
After looking at your pictures of your baby I don’t know how old yours is but mine has that red bump area to. He was never burned as I have been extremely cautious of the temp of feeding. Mine has that red bump on his middle neck. It is his neck area. He lays it consistently on a little stuffed animal I have in his brooder. It is just his neck area. He has had it since birth. He is 20 days old today!
Bird Chicken Beak Feather Poultry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all! OK so today we had some success considering it was both our bird and my first day of full handfeeding. At first I was not successful but I soon figured out why. I was nervous and didn't get the syringe right into its mouth good enough.
So the last two feedings rocked because we finally clicked.

But my next fear of course is overfeeding. While I know the chart says it should have 8ml per feeding, I read there should still be a little food left in the crop during the day right? So not totally empty. And when I feed it I am shocked at how fast and big it's crop gets.
The last feeding I got 6ml into it and then I stopped. I think maybe he/she would have taken more but I was nervous that its crop looked so big.
Can you experience people look at these pics and see what you think about the crop size. Should I go bigger and how do I know how big is too big!

Also above the crop is a red bump that was there when we bought the bird. I think it is the neck/voice box area but I do worry that maybe it could be something else. What do you think??

View attachment 11039

View attachment 11040

View attachment 11041
How old is your bird?

81 - 82 of 82 Posts