Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
What is the smallest cockatiel you have had?
--------------------------------------------------

The smallest tiel I had was called 'Little Bit' and she weighed 43 grams at weaning at 12 weeks old. She remained tiny, and at 1 year old her top weight was 65 grams.

So....your tiel may just be a small boned bird.

It sounds like it is doing better on the thicker formula.

I would be feeding the baby 4 times a day. Feeding too much can also result in a baby not gaining (and starting to lose weight) because the bodys energy is being used up digesting rather than growth.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Such a tiny little fighter. Every time I see there is an updated post on this thread I am so afraid to open it. And each and every time.. I am so glad I did. You know.. I just found a name on the Internet. I googled derivations for tiny little fighter and I think I might have found the perfect name for him.. although you may have already chosen one.

What do you think of Finley? I guess it means fair haired warrior. There's also Liam.. which means strong willed fighter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
First I have to say that I was soooo curious about the birds history (parents mutations and weights) that I broke down and called the oerson that sold me the bird. I also wanted to know how the other two birds were doing because the one day older bird was so well developed and large but sadly had a splayed leg that needed fixing and the younger bird (hatched 4 days later) looked like it may have been developing the splayed leg issue too.

Oh and I found out my little ones mom was white face and the dad was actually not pied but common grey.

srtiels, thanks for the info on your tiny bird because I googled for hours trying to find that answer but always I would get the average charts coming up and the weights were much higher.
How much would you feed it in the four feedings?? It looks so crazy starving and begs for food as soon as it sees me. I think it would eat until its crop blew!!
So would you up the amount per serving in the 4 time interval? Or actually keep it at the 10% of the body weight for each feeding.

DyArianna, Finley is a cute name! I would need to consult with my daughter because she randomly chose the name cookie although she has changed that name many times lol... maybe I will explain THIS bird DESERVES a warrior name!!

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I edited and deleted your comments are to the breeder. Regardless of the circumstances it is bad form to talk about someone that can not answer back.

From what you had posted the clutchmate had splayed leg, which is a good indicator that there was not enough bedding in the nestbox to help the chicks legs from slopping sideways on the floor of the box. In addition to this it would be harder for chicks to maintain heat, which can retard growth....and might have contributed to your babies size.

You can try feeding just a little more than 10% per feeding, but if you see any changes in crop emptying time (slowing down) back off to 10%

Do you know now many days old your baby is now?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
No problem, I can understand the concern about comments about people who are not here. But boy, I was quite upset upon hearing that the birds were killed! I spoke with the licensed/reputable breeder who is familiar with this person and she suggested reporting. I'm not sure about laws pertaining to birds but I can't see how it could be humane or legal to kill a bird with a splayed leg before even trying treatment :(

My bird is 24 days old.
Willow

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
The only thing that would help the birds (a friend did this once to someone similar) is to monitor their trash and if dead birds are found phone animal control to look and investigate. Without seeing dead birds your words are hearsay.

OK....your bird is old enough to start nibbling on millet sprays. You might want hang a piece of millet in the corner of the box where it spends to most time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Budgie Cockatiel Parakeet Parrot Cockatoo

Vertebrate Cockatiel Chinchilla Gerbil Parrot

Bird Cockatiel Parrot Cockatoo Beak

I added the millet today after the suggestion, it took a few little seeds in its mouth, rolled them around for a bit and spit them out. But it enjoyed pecking away at the millet.
Above are images from tonight... it's teeny tiny but such a cutie :love:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
As far as the breeder goes.. I do know that I have been researching in my state. There are many states who require licensing or some sort of registration with either a state or federal government if selling exotic birds. I'm not sure where you are from .. you might not even be from the US. Hopefully there is some regulation where you are from. At the very least you can do some research and maybe voice your concerns with someone in that sort of venue also.

He is so adorable. He may be small but he is getting tons of feathers/pins! You guys continue to be in our thoughts and hopefully this little guy .. is just that. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Today I was going to start the feedings for every five hours but when I weighed the birdie it was down a couple of grams. Now it's 61 :(
It seems that I need to give up hope I will see a gain anytime soon. I had it sitting on me last night and playing with the millet. Actually it would bite off the seeds and roll them around with it's tongue but I think it actually ate a couple.

Rstiels, can you tell me how much you would feed it each feeding and what times would work best for it?? It weighs 61 gms and is 25 days old. I'm very worried about reducing overall ml's per day because I don't want to see it lose more.

It is still in it's nestbox too. Temp is now being kept between 80-85.

Formula is thicker like yogurt texture.

And can you also tell me what ever happened with your little bird you had? Is it still alive and what can I expect for life expectancy of a tiny bird? Can they live a long and healthy life also?

It's poops are great, it's spirit is up, vocal and full of energy and loves to snuggle.... very affectionate!

Thanks!
Willow

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Wow.. another little fighter still going! I really admire you as well for also keeping up the fight!

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Ok....your baby is now feathered out and according to age about the time it would normally try to fledge from the box....though they will go baby in. At this age the weight will remain the same and then they will drop down a few grams in weight. this weight loss is to lighten the body to try to fly. About this age he may be doing alot of wing flapping to strength chest muscles for flight.

As to Little Bit she lived to be about 3 years old. The reason why the short life is that her mate Nova escaped and she pined away for him and just starved herself because he was gone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Dyarianna, I won't give up on this little one! It honestly is the sweetest pet I've seen. It gets all up on me as close as it can cuddle and does the little kissy preeny stuff on my chin... it is just the sweetest baby I can imagine.
It's good with my daughter and hubby too but if it sees me it tries to get to me lol so I've been trying to get the others to hold it while I clean the box out or whatever just so it connects with them too.
It's about the size of a sparrow though and the parrot cage I bought has 3/4 inch spacing I think so I really hope it grows enough so it can't get caught in the bars!

There's so much info online about what to do, how much to feed, when to feed, when to wean etc. but what if the bird isn't typical and doesn't gain each day?? That's when it gets confusing.

I won't give up though. I wish the person who sold it to me would have just given the other two to me also and I would have definately worked with them to get them well! I'm still heartbroken over them :(

One thing though I must say is I HATE feeding time! Our little one acts like Godzilla during feedings!! Just a total monster in search of the syringe LOL.

As long as we can keep it above 60gm I will not panic but if it loses more then I will start really worrying.

Willow

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Awe, she only lived three years and died of a broken heart :( that's sad...

I have noticed the wing flapping beginning. I also notice the crop even when full feels stronger and less pouchy.

So if this was your bird at 25 days, 60gm- what serving size would you give and what times would be best?

Also, should it stay in the box or is it time to move it into a smaller solid bottom cage with a low perch.

Thanks!
Willow

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I hear ya on how crazy hand feeding is when they get older! This last clutch was the first time I had two of them.. and OH... MY ... GOD! Once they eventually start weaning.. you get all excited that they are growing up.. and also excited you see a light at the end of the tunnel. lol Funny thing is.. no matter how crazy it gets.. you can't wait to do it all over again. :)

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
So if this was your bird at 25 days, 60gm- what serving size would you give and what times would be best?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would feed 6cc of formula per feeding....and I'm not sure how many times a day you are feeding but work toward 3 feedings a day.

Since the baby is feathered, you might want to have her in the small cage several hours during the day. Put newspaper on the grill, and sprinkle some seed on it for it to forage and pick at and a piece of millet clipped to the corner of the cage so that it is hanging. During the night have the baby in the box with the 2 of the flaps open.

Once you see it picking at seed and millet then you can gradually reduce the lunch (by 1cc per feeding day) feeding over several days to eliminate it and start to wean.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
So far so good, today it weighed 63 grams again (gained back it's loss) and it has been on four feedings for two days. It's eating the millet now but otherwise seems to just be playing around with other things offered. I've tried corn, toast, seeds, moistened pellets and all bran cereal with no interest show from it yet. I've also set a shallow dish of water in it's cage but no drinking yet.
It's flapping its wings and giving the odd real loud chirp every now and again. It spends the day in the cage (not steady enough to perch, so sits on the bottom) and nights in its box.

We finally picked a name too! Xiang which means "to soar" and also "lucky". Pronounced something like shi-ah-ng.

I can't wait until our little Xiang is fully weaned ;) it's so strong and nails on it like a dragon!! Tonight it tried so hard to get at the syring that it clenched my finger so tight with its nails I thought I was going to be bleeding lol
I can't imagine being the momma and dad bird with 5+ in a clutch! I'd fly away :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Well we have made it to 4 1/2 weeks old and so far so great! Xiang is weighing approx. 63-65 grams daily and is now starting to perch and wing flap and chirp very loudly when it hears my voice! I assumed we had a common grey tiel because I thought that was what the father was. The father was grey with bright yellow face and mom was a nice white faced cockatiel. I assumed that Xiang may be a female only because of the brilliant spots on the wings but then also I realized she looked different than most greys because she has the large fluffy white patch on the back of her head. Her head feathers are still coming in but from what is there now after a long day online researching mutations I am guessing that I have a split grey pied tiel and as for the cinnamon or pearl or pastel etc. I have no idea if there is any of that going on.

My question to all of you... what type of cockatiel would you say she/he is and also can I tell the gender based on the spots on the wings or will I need to wait for the first molt because of the pied part of her/him??? Also will females chirp loudly when they hear their owners at age 4 weeks or is this a male thing?
Thanks!

Bird Beak Chimney Swift Pigeons and doves Hand

Bird Beak Parrot Wing Tail

Finger Hand Nail Thumb Gesture

Nail Hand Finger Feather Thumb

Bird Cockatiel Parrot Hand Beak

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Experts?? Anyone... any thoughts on type and gender?
I'm quite eager to hear your opinions!
Male/female/pied/grey??

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Okay... I am just guessing here. But I guess male.. I want to say split to pied.. but that's quite a large blotch of white behind the head so I'm not sure there. Might be pied. Oh yeah.. and I want to say split to white face. The reason I guess male is because of the lighter markings on the face. The spots would suggest female, but I had one with spots like that and he is a boy. Again.. just my *still learning* guess. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thanks Dyarianna! The white patch surprised me when it came in. It's markings otherwise seem very symetrical except the white fluffy feather patch on the head. I'm curious though when you mention the light markings on the face, don't the male birds have the brighter markings on the face? I'm kind of hoping for a male because I'm nervous of the egg laying issues and males seem less complicated but either way I'm in love! I just assumed the light markings may mean female.
So you have a male with the wing spots? That's good to know. Also this bird is very vocal... at only 4 1/2 weeks it's whistling when I talk and it hears me. I also thought that was a male trait.
In pieds are the wing spots reliable to determine sex of bird?
Any other experts here able to offer some assistance understanding more about my baby?
Thanks!
Willow

41 - 60 of 82 Posts